AT Thru Hike - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

AT Thru Hike

Doing some hiking this year on the AT and will be hiking on one or two PA trails this year during two long weekends with friends. One of my friends is doing the AT thru hike next year and I will hike PA section with him. Planning on doing the thru hike in 5 years after retirement (God willing). I was wondering if anyone on here has completed the thru hike or section hike and what type of gear you used.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:14 AM

Re: AT Thru Hike

If time were not a factor I would love to hike the entire trail . Many have attempted after retiring . I think the mental fatigue is as much to blame ending treks as the grueling physical part . In this day and age of e-mails and computers, high tech phones etc. it is much easier to stay in weekly if not daily contact with family . When you begin your hike it would be great to have us all along with you noting your progress . I hope you are able to tackle the AT .Hiking with your friend through Pennsylvania will be a great warm-up. Best of luck....Finn

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 02:45 PM

MH,
Stop at the general store porch at PGF. Most of the thru hikers have passed through for this year but you can still catch some. No better to ask then the people themselves.

On thing I have noticed is they are wearing lighter weight hikers/trail sneakers. Would have thought that would not be good for the feet. Younger people though too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yea I've talked to a couple and hiked from Toms Run to the store over the past couple weekends. They are wearing trail sneakers and some even started with them on in the cold in March.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My son and a friend did the entire AT in 2006. Started north and went south. It's been a while, but I recall the following:

After a week their feet killed them from being constantly wet. The kid went with Teva Sandals and his buddy wore Crocs. Said it was the ticket and they are more popular than you think.

Regarding gear -

Shared a light weight shelter/tarp type tent with insect screening and supported by hiking poles.

Both carried a couple homemade pop can alcohol stoves (still use them today) and a single two quart aluminum pot each with cup and spoon.

Rain Gear.

Merino wool long johns and wool stocking cap.

Heavy Wool Sweater.

Single change of shirt and pants.

Couple dry pairs of socks, boxer shorts, ball cap.

Swim trunks.

Synthetic Mummy Bag and foam pad.

Both raved about hiking sticks.

Balance was food, one quart Nalgene bottle (maybe two, can't remember), phone card since the cell phone was left at home, a notebook, some cord, camera, bug dope and sun screen, alcohol bottle (for stove - usually an empty pint plastic Jim Beam bottle), a couple first aid items including talcum powder, small headlamp, compass (his buddy also carried a gps), trail guide, small Leatherman Juice tool (broke a couple times, he said he would go with a more durable one next time) and a single Bic lighter each.

Always forwarded a "jump box" to the next destination. Recall them "trying" to keep pack weight to 35 pounds maximum.

Might get some ideas here: http://www.trailjournals.com/

Good Luck.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks bowbenderpa01. I've been reading some journals and other web sites, plus a couple books. There are a lot of web sites on trips and buying equipment. I have a while to get ready. Will probably do the Black Forest Trail this September once it gets warmer. Last time I was on that trail it was mid 70's. A long, long time ago. My gear from back then is kind of antiquish. lol

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

<span style="font-style: italic">Both raved about hiking sticks. </span>

Funny you mentioned hiking sticks. I never hiked with them until 3 weeks ago. I had a run in with a rattle snake just after I came off the AT. Thought poles would give me a better warning. I kind of like them. Not sure if I will buy a tent that uses them in case they break or get lost.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Michaux , I just love that trail . Have hiked it 6 times but not in recent years since becoming an old guy now. Twice solo that were some of the best times . Have a great trip !

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 PM

MH,
Where are you finding sites regarding equipment?
I have been picking up some items for hunting in Colorado. Backpacking in and setting up camp. Always looking for reviews, recommendations etc.

Thanks
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

moosejaw, back country, mountaingear, Big Agnes camping supplies, traptent Ultralight shelters, plus Bass Pro, Cabeles to name a few. Also U-tube AT 2011 and 2012.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page