pa grand canyon - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

pa grand canyon

heading there over the 4th what would you not want to miss if there?

WHEN YOU FIND EM STRING'um UP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Sage

Re: pa grand canyon

Galeton Fireworks, Colton Point SP, Leonard Harrison SP, Maybe do the Turkey Path at Harrison SP, the rail trail on a bike from Ansonia on down is pretty. Barbour Rocks Trail off Colton Point Road is easy and a nice vista.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

The Galeton Fireworks are great and should not be missed. If you like walking around town Wellsboro is nice and the Pa lumber museum is not far on RT 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

It's been since the 70's since I've been up there but if canoeing or kayaking is your thing you’re in the right spot, hang out at Barbour’s Bend on Pine Creek and watch the canoes and kayaks come through and count the number that flip over. You could fish anywhere on the creek or Slate Run is good (I believed its delayed harvest). If hiking great trails all around. Two good trails are the West Rim Trail and the Black Forest Trail. I’ve hiked on the Black Trail Forest Trail and I believe, except for the AT is one of the nicest trails in PA. Go to “Pine Creek Outfitters” to get some other ideas.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 AM
Part of the Community

if you get the chance, take a trip to hyner view state park. best view in PA. there should be people hang gliding. really cool. i usually stop up there over the 4th holiday.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 02:19 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogedoger
if you get the chance, take a trip to hyner view state park. best view in PA. there should be people hang gliding. really cool. i usually stop up there over the 4th holiday.
Yes. Hyner is a bit of a ride from the grand canyon but the hanggliders are something to see. We go there every year on Labor Day weekend just to watch them. We sit for hours and just watch. It is really cool.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 12:10 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaux Hunter
It's been since the 70's since I've been up there but if canoeing or kayaking is your thing you’re in the right spot, hang out at Barbour’s Bend on Pine Creek and watch the canoes and kayaks come through and count the number that flip over. You could fish anywhere on the creek or Slate Run is good (I believed its delayed harvest). If hiking great trails all around. Two good trails are the West Rim Trail and the Black Forest Trail. I’ve hiked on the Black Trail Forest Trail and I believe, except for the AT is one of the nicest trails in PA. Go to “Pine Creek Outfitters” to get some other ideas.
Where is Barbours Bend on Pine Creek?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert
Quote:
I'm assuming he means the Owassee Rapids. Which isn't as big a deal as it used to be.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 01:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

I believe it was called Barbours Bend when I went through. But I could be wrong. I was a little young back in those days.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 02:51 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert
Quote:
I'm assuming he means the Owassee Rapids. Which isn't as big a deal as it used to be.
Did the structure of the rapids change? Or did people get better boats?

I've boated through there. We stayed left and had no problem at all. It looked a lot more bouncy on river right, but not THAT bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page