Central Pa Hiking Trails - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Central Pa Hiking Trails

My family and I have recently taken up hiking. My wife and three daughters and I all love it and we've made it an every weekend activity. My problem is, I'm running out of hiking trails. In fact, thus far, we've only been hiking two different trails.

I live in close proximity to Pine Grove State Furnace, Michaux State Forest and Caledonia State Park. I've picked up hiking maps and trail guides but I can't seem to locate the start points for a lot of trails.

If anyone can help with directions or kid friendly hiking it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I've told that there is a nice scenic trail near Caledonia that's got a waterfall. My daughters and wife are aching to try that one and I'd love to find out where it is.

Thanks for any help!

"Catch and release is best practiced in solitude."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Central Pa Hiking Trails

Uh, the Appalachian Trail isn't far from you. Just get on it at the nearest point and head south. Keep walking and sooner or later you'll locate it's starting point. Be sure to take lots of water as you'll probably get thirsty before you get there.

(Just kidding, kinda.)

Google "hiking trails in PA", or add the word "maps" to the search and you'll find miles of information.

John
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 02:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can call the DCNR and get state forest maps (some SF have hiking trail maps too) and they are free. They will show you trails and trail heads.
There are also books for sale on hiking trails in PA, some for different regions of the state. They are nice because most give trail descriptions/ratings, directions and/or GPS coordinates, info such as waterfalls, vistas, etc.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 12:02 PM
The Man

Get the Michaux State Forest map if you haven't already. And ask if they have any trail maps. Those are much more detailed than the general state forest maps. Just Google Michaux SF for the phone number, call them M-F, 8-4 pm and ask for the maps. They'll send them for free.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

The water fall is on Rt 233 just north of Rt 30 in the park. Head on 233 North and you will drive right past the waterfall. There is a parking lot there. Good hiking from the Pine Grove Park south to Caledonia State Park on the AT. About 20 miles. Also a nice hike on the blue trail that runs from Toms Run shelter (AT) to Old Shippensburg Rd up over Sunset Rocks. Very nice views. I hike a lot up there. There are parking lots on the major roads where the AT crosses them. Good day hike or over night hike. You can camp at the shelters.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM

Kings Gap State Park is also close by and has a well marked trail system and a good map to go along with it.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

Todd how long are those trails? Any over night?

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:09 PM

They are short day hikes only.

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaux Hunter
Todd how long are those trails? Any over night?
Those trails are primarily with in the park boundary so they are not overnight trails. Link to PDF Trail Map
Buck Ridge trail runs from Kings Gap to the park office in Pine Grove Furnace State Park. Used to mtn bike a portion of that trail before it became a dedicated hiking trail.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 PM
The Man

I don't know how far you are from Benezette but the Elk trail is real nice. We only did 4 miles but I plan on doing more. You can camp and would have a decent chance of seeing elk. Late Sept into October you would almost certainly hear bugling.

Elk Trail

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page