PA Backpack/ mountain bike hunting hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

PA Backpack/ mountain bike hunting hunting

ANybody do any backpack. mountain bike hunting trips in PA? I'm considering one for next rifle deer season probably on SF ground for 3 days. Looking for any insight on do's, don'ts and gear. I'e done lots of BPing and MBing over the years but never in wintertime or a hunt.

Thanks

Providing PA landowners with professional habitat strategies
PTA Dist 11
SFI #5899
QDMA LCPI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581
Re: PA Backpack/ mountain bike hunting hunting

do what I did, start researching forums where guys do this frequently. colorado, alaska... this isnt common in the east and I dont know why.

especially when you hear... go deeper. i guess to some that means youre far enough when you run out of trail and cant see the truck. to me, that means over one mountain or two and 3/4 up the next.

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 11:19 PM
New Arrival

As far as gear goes.... I have done a lot of winter backpacking. Invest in a good 3 season tent. Alps mountaineering is high quality and a good price. You'll see lots of reviews on Amazon. Get a good bag rated for 15 degrees and a sleeping pad and you should be plenty warm for PA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This is something I do at college quite often. Either on Snowshoes or Cross County skis.

I carry a small winchester model 94 that can slip into the ice axe stap on my backpack.

A good tent is important, but more importantly is a good bag and sleeping pad. I carry a bag rated to 20, with a liner than can add another 10 degrees of warmth if needed. If it gets any colder than that, I have a -20 bag,but it is very heavy.

A good stove and water purification system are also important.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys. I got the gear already for the most part. I guess what I was really asking is if you are MBing in for a week, how do you haul your gear? Big pack, pannier bags and racks, trailer/sled? Not quite sure how to dress my bike.... And if you do wack a deer do you quarter it up then haul it out? I do realize the return trip out may take an extra trip or 2 if it comes to hauling a deer. I've been deer hunting an area accesible only by boat and a long walk for 15+ years so I'm no stranger to going off the beaten path but I typically can pack a bunch of crap into a boat then just backpack the last 2 miles in. MBing seems like it could be a lot more work and being able to take 1/2 the usual gear.

Providing PA landowners with professional habitat strategies
PTA Dist 11
SFI #5899
QDMA LCPI

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I carry a 105 Lt. mountaineering bag with a smaller bag inside for food. If we do get one, we zip tie a tarp around it and drag it out that way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page