Keeping mice out of the camper....Tips? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Keeping mice out of the camper....Tips?

We have been debating about taking our camper up to the property for the remainder of the hunting season for a camp, the problem is when I took our pop-up there a couple years ago the mice had an absolute feild day in there, to the point no one would go in it anyway.

Now we have a 26' camper with one slide-out and man would it be nice to go on Friday nights and hunt from it, but we (Mrs and I both) are worried that the mice will once again get in there eventhough this time it won;t be pulled back into the woods very far.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know how to keep mice from wanting to get into the camper ? I suggested leaving our cat up there but the Mrs. vetoed it.

2. Do you think the camper will be more mouse proof than the pop-up?

Other than leaving no food in there while we are gone, any other tips?

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Keeping mice out of the camper....Tips?

Don't think food has much to do with it, I can't keep them out of my vehicles and tractor engines. They love making nests out of that sound dampening material under the hood and in the firewall. When I started the car yesterday I had the door open and one ran out. Mid summer a friend bought a camper from Meshoppen and brought it home. Got a call from him to come and identify a very big snake they found inside. When I got there they had already killed the 65" black rat snake, but I doubt there were any mice in it. Maybe a pet snake!

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 02:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've been looking for tips on mouse proofing my RV also.
Everything I've read so far say's to seal up the openings where your drains and gas pipe come through the floor with steel wool or expansion foam. My RV came with a thermal package so the manufacturer already has those areas sealed. I'm sure they'll find another way in.

Living back in the woods, it's hard enough to keep them out of the house.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Sage

Just put some rat poison around.

Plus, with all the yotes in your area, how can you even have mice on the hill? LOL

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Thanks guys for the responses, sounds like a dice roll. I do not think my camper is sealed like that however it may be worth a climb under to see what is under there as far as entrances.

Dutch I think the yotes let the mice live, just to tick me off and keep me from really enjoying their hill.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mice are a big issue for campers and cabins when nobody is there all the time. I don't think you can keep them completely out.

About the only thing I might try is one or two of those electronic pest control devices. But, they require electricity.

Poison is always an option, but I don't like the aftermath of dead mice laying around hidden in corners, stuck in walls, and under furniture rotting away. Followed by the darn mega flys that hatch out from the maggots.

Sticky pads under the trailer set on a bunch of boards will probably help, but then you still have all those dead mice stuck to the boards under the trailer, plus other small critters, and the occasional possum or small animal that steps in a sticky and goes bonkers.

I have an old house at my property. I gave up on it. Between the mice and the snakes, and the flies and the groundhogs and squirrels and the wasps.. it was just too hard to keep it habitable. When the wasps got bad, I would set off one of the those cans of bug killer when I left for the weekend. When I came back the next, the wasps were under control but the house was littered with dead mice and the flies. I guess either the bug bomb also killed the mice, or the mice died from eating the poisoned wasps??

After the house, we parked the camper. same problems.

Oh, one of the funny things about the electronic mouse devices, I took my Grandson with me one day and while sitting in the camper he said to me: "Pop, can you turn that thing off?" I said what thing? He said that thing that is making that squealing noise..

He could hear the electronic mouse device's high pitched squeal..

If you can figure out a way to keep the mice out of your camper, patent it.. you will be a rich man.

Best regards, Glenn

Ain't no such thing as a "couldahad" with the bow"
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I stopped using the rat/mouse poison. I think it attracts them into the house and they don't always die outside. I often found the pellets stashed under my wood pile tarps 100 feet away from the house. If you want to use poison the bars are a better choice, but you still get the stink and the flies from the ones that die inside.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Sage

Put out mothballs,try a box or two strewn around the RV , should work.Works in my shop...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A trick we use up north is to get a cheap box of dryer sheets and just a sheet in each cabinet & drawer. You will be amazed how well it works and it is cheap when you buy them at Dollar General... Ancient Chinese secret - don't tell anyone.

The United States Constitution (c) 1787. All Rights reserved.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

there you go again Triple, telling everyone our "secret"!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page