Blue Ridge Parkway - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Blue Ridge Parkway

Any of you folks do it?
Give me the story.
Do's, don't , must see , must NOT see ..... whatever.
I'd love to hear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Awesome motorcycle ride. It is a National Park. Speed limit is 45 and the Rangers have radar, behave. Abundant wildlife, breathtaking vistas, amazing hiking , plenty of waterfalls. Nature in a splendid form. Music and art venues, Museums. Mabrys Mill, Mt Airy, Nc. (AKA Mayberry).........Some of the highest points east of the Mississippi. Traffic slows after Labor Day. Then picks up for the leaf peepers. No Stop signs.

Going south ends in Cherokee, NC. Heart of the Smokey's. Coming north stay on it and run the Skyline (speed limit 35) to Front Royal, Va. There is a fee to run the Skyline Drive. If you include the Skyline I think it's 575 miles combined with the BRP. Only a few service areas but enough exits for Hotels and fuel. Plenty of camping opportunities.

If your in a hurry...don't bother. Relax and enjoy. As a motorcycle enthusiast I consider it a National Treasure, and one of the best rides in America.
loridr, EAGLEUSMCRET and Boondox like this.

Intelligence without wisdom is Modern Society............
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxone View Post
Awesome motorcycle ride. It is a National Park. Speed limit is 45 and the Rangers have radar, behave. Abundant wildlife, breathtaking vistas, amazing hiking , plenty of waterfalls. Nature in a splendid form. Music and art venues, Museums. Mabrys Mill, Mt Airy, Nc. (AKA Mayberry).........Some of the highest points east of the Mississippi. Traffic slows after Labor Day. Then picks up for the leaf peepers. No Stop signs.

Going south ends in Cherokee, NC. Heart of the Smokey's. Coming north stay on it and run the Skyline (speed limit 35) to Front Royal, Va. There is a fee to run the Skyline Drive. If you include the Skyline I think it's 575 miles combined with the BRP. Only a few service areas but enough exits for Hotels and fuel. Plenty of camping opportunities.

If your in a hurry...don't bother. Relax and enjoy. As a motorcycle enthusiast I consider it a National Treasure, and one of the best rides in America.

Hold on a second , tell me more about the Mayberry connection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxone View Post

So true take your time and take in the views and the small towns. Then add the Great Smokie Mountains and Cherokee area!
Boondox likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Hold on a second , tell me more about the Mayberry connection?

https://visitmayberry.com/
Boondox likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Coming back from Fl.last year the WIFE decided we go to Cherokee NC and take the back road "the only road" to Gatlinburg TN. through the Great Smoky Mountains. We pull in at the Welcome Center to get some coffee and advice. "Oh ya I'm tugging a 30 ft Travel trailer" Lady at the counter said you need a bigger cup of coffee if your heading that way! So we went East towards I-40 when the WIFE said turn here! Up we go and go and go. Next look out I pull over and told her this ain't happening. I thought we were on the Tail of The Dragon. Lord behold a Ranger pulls in and said where you heading? I have no clue ask my WIFE. He advise us to turn around and go back towards I-40. Pretty country if your in a car! We did stay in a town call Maggie Valley that has a great museum with vintage motorcycles and rare cars. Cool town! With BEER!
Muzz and Boondox like this.

Last edited by 59Willys; 09-01-2019 at 10:47 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks guys. I ride motorcycle and have a travel trailer but this trip is strictly bare bones with the pickup truck .... plan on hitting it another time with the motorbike. It seems like a hassle to take the camper , considering the lowest tunnel height.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 08:10 PM
Part of the Community

we rented a cabin there in may nice it had a shower no stove or mic cooked over a camp fire it was great and if u want to get in some good driving try the tail of the dragon off the southern end
Boondox likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwishes1 View Post
we rented a cabin there in may nice it had a shower no stove or mic cooked over a camp fire it was great and if u want to get in some good driving try the tail of the dragon off the southern end

Yes , The tail of the Dragon I have planned to save for the 2nd trip with the motorcycle.
I understand there are 8 camp grounds along the Parkway .......... was the cabin you stayed at one of those or something different? I'll be looking for something other than a tent with the motorcycle and never considered they may have cabins.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
Yes , The tail of the Dragon I have planned to save for the 2nd trip with the motorcycle.
I understand there are 8 camp grounds along the Parkway .......... was the cabin you stayed at one of those or something different? I'll be looking for something other than a tent with the motorcycle and never considered they may have cabins.
Should be all kinds of cabins to rent at most exits. Get the local visitors info for listings and search the internet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in