Looking To Buy A New Cooler - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Looking To Buy A New Cooler

I have been thinking about getting a new cooler. I have looked at them all. Yeti seemed to be small and very expensive. I borrowed a friend's Pelican cooler it was a little bigger and cheaper than a yeti. Looking for other choices and experiences with them. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

What do you plan on using the cooler for? And how long do you need the ice to last? How much are going to put in it? Those are what I ask myself and look at the specs from that perspective and not the name. A lot of them are just fancy names that are status symbols and overkill for taking drinks for a day. I have a coleman extreme that keeps ice for 5 days fine.
325wsm and Wingatchtochwilsit like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:39 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I second the coleman. I got the 120 qt extreme marine, which is now on amazon for $45, and it'll fit two boned out deer no problem and hold the ice for several days.
325wsm likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 03:01 PM
Part of the Community

coleman xtreme here also, brought back a elk from Idaho in mine couple yrs ago, 37 hrs still frozen, got a 120 quart from walmart, we took it on vacation last week, Ice stayed good for 4 days . ( but I pre chilled it the night before )
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Rtic coolers

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great information and logic used. I have some cheap cooler that is horrible - leave here and by the time I get to the campground 3 hours later, I've lost half of the ice. I started looking at the Yeti knockoffs, and even they are spendy. Then I saw this post and started thinking, how long do I really need to keep something cold? The Coleman Extreme seems to fit that nice niche - works well AND doesn't break the bank. Good information, thanks for sharing!

Take an older friend hunting or fishing - they're the reason we do what we do!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Sage

I have a Coleman extreme 100 qt and a 150 qt. The trick in keeping ice from melting is to put cold contents into a cold cooler. When I go to SC to hunt hogs my cooler sits in the walk in cooler with the lid open from the day I arrive to the day I leave. The meat hangs in the walk-in for 2 or three days and is quartered when we leave. We put about 3 inches of ice on the bottom of the cold chests, then the meat, usually two hogs, then fill the rest of the space with ice and close the lid. When I get to the butcher shop about 13 hours later there probably isn't more than a cup of water in the ice chest. When I killed my Bison in MO the animal was gutted immediately and hung in a walk-in for two days, then butchered and vacume packed and quick frozen. The coolers sat in the walk in freezer from the time the animals went into the walk-in cooler until the butchered and frozen meat was put into the cooler. It is a long drive, about 17 hours with food and fuel stop. When I got home it was as though the meat had just been put in the cooler. The Coleman extreme does all I will ever ask of an ice chest.
325wsm likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:45 PM

I have too many coolers. I have 4 giant ones we used to haul cut, wrapped, frozen elk and muley home from our western hunts. Probably another 1/2 dozen smaller ones in the garage also. None are premium style coolers.

Iím looking for an old school metal Coleman ( 1960-70) style to replace my fish box on my boat. Itís currently held together with JB Weld and duct tape. Itís always a conversation starter when someone goes fishing with me. Folks have asked to make donations to buy a new one. The one Iím using now I bought new in 1977 to take to Canada. Thereís been thousands of pounds of fish in that box in the last 40 years, but itís time for a new one.

When I go fishing, I put 3 one gallon blocks of ice in my fish cooler. Big blocks of ice hold a lot better than bags of ice. Plus itís free, as I freeze them at home.
CritterBuster likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
I have a Coleman extreme 100 qt and a 150 qt. The trick in keeping ice from melting is to put cold contents into a cold cooler. When I go to SC to hunt hogs my cooler sits in the walk in cooler with the lid open from the day I arrive to the day I leave. The meat hangs in the walk-in for 2 or three days and is quartered when we leave. We put about 3 inches of ice on the bottom of the cold chests, then the meat, usually two hogs, then fill the rest of the space with ice and close the lid. When I get to the butcher shop about 13 hours later there probably isn't more than a cup of water in the ice chest. When I killed my Bison in MO the animal was gutted immediately and hung in a walk-in for two days, then butchered and vacume packed and quick frozen. The coolers sat in the walk in freezer from the time the animals went into the walk-in cooler until the butchered and frozen meat was put into the cooler. It is a long drive, about 17 hours with food and fuel stop. When I got home it was as though the meat had just been put in the cooler. The Coleman extreme does all I will ever ask of an ice chest.
And another note. A cooler works just as good as a heater too. I will put pulled pork or brisket that comes off a smoker inside wrapped in foil with a blanket and 8 hours later its still plenty hot. Take note, your wife is usually hotter if you use one of her blankets that now smells like brisket though.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:59 PM

Coleman extreme covers all my needs also. Couple days is the max I need, pre-cool, manage your ice properly. Metal hinges, easy to clean, don't feel bad beating it up cause I paid $50 for it. I mostly use coolers for fish, summer beverages, and rarely toting around red meat.

Those rotomolded coolers are insanely heavy. I don't really see the incremental gain in insulation worth that tradeoff alone, not to mention the price considerations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in