1Likes
  • 1 Post By tdd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Grand Canyon of PA

Never been, thinking of going.

Family gets bored with hiking, though. I'd be happy to strap on my Lowa's and grab my pack with some chow and water and go see some new sights. They will want more than that on a vacation.

Anything else up there to do?

Thanks!
hornet112 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 08:38 PM
The Man

Bring the bicycles! The bike trail is very nice and very popular.

If they get tired of riding, stop at one of the stores in Waterville, Slate Run or Cedar Run and get ice cream cones.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:42 PM

Pine Creek has some pretty good fishing there as well.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:01 PM

Kayaking Pine creek is a nice float and some great fishing on that creek. I have been to the canyon quite a few times. We have a camp 45 minutes or so from it but it is fantastic in the fall. Rangers will be making home made apple cider, the leaves changing, vendors selling local maple syrups, maple icecream ect.. We will usually leave our house drive through Benezette to see the elk and scenery, unpack at camp and head to the grand canyon. Would love to move up to that area been going up for over 30 years.

4B
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 04:19 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Never been, thinking of going.

Family gets bored with hiking, though. I'd be happy to strap on my Lowa's and grab my pack with some chow and water and go see some new sights. They will want more than that on a vacation.
Hiking may be more acceptable to them if you pick a trail that has some good scenery. And think about their physical limitations.

The West Rim Trail has some great views of the canyon. At Colton Point State Park you can hike a short section of trail that has great views of the canyon. And there are restrooms there. Often a good thing!

Colton Point State Park is nicer than Leonard Harrison State Park, IMHO. Both have great views of the canyon. But Colton Point is quieter. Leonard Harrison SP has a huge parking area, and loads of people driving in and out, so it's hectic.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:17 AM
Banned

If your family is in to primitive camping, there are a number of sites on Big Run Rd. outside of Blackwell that can be reserved free of charge from the DCNR. We went up one weekend during the rattlesnake roundup in Morris when all of the campgrounds in the area were pretty well booked and there wasn't a soul in sight. I personally can't stand going camping just to be surrounded by people, I can do that in the suburbs. Rattlesnake rock is right down the road which has a pretty awesome swimming hole, and you might just find a few rattlers. If you're planning on going up yet this year it might be pretty tough doing any sort of kayaking/tubing unless you target the downstream areas, which are a little less wildernessy. Lots of dirt roads to go for a drive, catch some vistas along the way. I haven't been up in a few years but can't wait to get back when the littlest is a little less little.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page