Anyone use an old RV or trailer as their mobile hunting camp? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Anyone use an old RV or trailer as their mobile hunting camp?

I've always wanted a mobile hunting camp for our deer and other hunting trips. Lately I've been cruising Craigslist looking for an old class A RV like an old school Winnebago that I could buy cheap, and maybe put a small amount into it, just to use on hunting trips. Just a place to flop and maybe be able to cook a meal. Just wondering if anyone does this.

Also, if anybody knows the whereabouts of an old Winnebago for sale cheap, I'm all ears. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:07 PM

look on rennug.com classifieds. they have a bunch listed in there. hope this helps.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Tca126 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 09:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

May look at pennswoods.net also.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 09:21 AM

its the same site, wily. they changed the name.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 05:23 PM

Way back in the day we used our little hardside trailer or my uncles mini motor home(van cab with camper shell) for bear season. We'd go up to Hyner Run St. Pk. in Clinton Co. Then hunt up a couple of those dirt roads not sure anymore if it was GL's of SF woods. It was just 3 of us so we didn't need much. We did not run the heater unless we were awake - made for some chilly mornings(still had winter back then). I think we kept food(did use stove) + water in a cooler not the fridge and we used the park bathrooms. I think we only took bacon, eggs, bread, lunch meat + cheese and maybe 1 dinner meal(first night we went out for dinner) Season was only 2 maybe 3 days back then.
stinkbait and Blue Bird like this.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 05:38 PM

My only thoughts on a Class A would be that you now would have another vehicle with another engine, brakes, tires, transmission, etc to maintain. I would prefer to get a trailer camper or something of that nature that I could tow behind my pickup. At least then you pretty much just have tires and brakes to maintain. One thought I have is I have seen people use Cargo trailers for something like you are talking about and they make the inside so that they can remove the stuff and use the trailer for other purposes throughout the year. This also allows you to drop the trailer at "camp" and still use your vehicle if you are hunting away from your camping area. Just a thought.
Danesdad likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
My only thoughts on a Class A would be that you now would have another vehicle with another engine, brakes, tires, transmission, etc to maintain. I would prefer to get a trailer camper or something of that nature that I could tow behind my pickup. At least then you pretty much just have tires and brakes to maintain. One thought I have is I have seen people use Cargo trailers for something like you are talking about and they make the inside so that they can remove the stuff and use the trailer for other purposes throughout the year. This also allows you to drop the trailer at "camp" and still use your vehicle if you are hunting away from your camping area. Just a thought.
I agree with you regarding class A, but there is just something about those old school Winnebagos that I really like. I realize that if I were to buy a real cheap one, its gonna take some serious dough to fix up and to buy one that is half way decent is still gonna require some serious scratch, but its a dream I've had for a long time. There's a place we hunt that has a dumpy campground literally within walking distance, so a class A would not be a problem, and normally I hunt with a couple other guys when its not just me and my kid so theres always another vehicle around to ferry hunters to the woods or to the local restaurant etc.

I've used an old popup that I owned one year way up in Sullivan county. We froze our nuts off but still enjoyed the heck out of it. Only problem with a popup is folding them down in crappy weather. Add icy canvas to the mix and its a real PIA. Won't go down that road again.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
I agree with you regarding class A, but there is just something about those old school Winnebagos that I really like. I realize that if I were to buy a real cheap one, its gonna take some serious dough to fix up and to buy one that is half way decent is still gonna require some serious scratch, but its a dream I've had for a long time. There's a place we hunt that has a dumpy campground literally within walking distance, so a class A would not be a problem, and normally I hunt with a couple other guys when its not just me and my kid so theres always another vehicle around to ferry hunters to the woods or to the local restaurant etc.

I've used an old popup that I owned one year way up in Sullivan county. We froze our nuts off but still enjoyed the heck out of it. Only problem with a popup is folding them down in crappy weather. Add icy canvas to the mix and its a real PIA. Won't go down that road again.
In that case a Winnebago it is. LOL. If it is something you always wanted then I say go for it! You only live once.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 08:15 PM
Part of the Community

Back in late 80's, I bear hunted with a guy that used a travel trailer and camped from a week before bear season thru the end of deer season. I have stayed in tents, the back of trucks and truck campers during bear season. First priority was being dry then warm. I do miss those days. Good times!

Support 2A. Because a dog without teeth has no bite.
Being married is work. Work is management and labor. We all know how well management and labor get along.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in