Anyone use an old RV or trailer as their mobile hunting camp? - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 10:29 AM

I bet is cold in those old RV camps this morning...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 10:31 AM

I bet it is cold in some of those old RV campers this Thanksgiving morning
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 03:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like a good idea.Wish I had something like that at times, but do not want the added maint either,but a small one would have been nice..Just slept one night in the back of my Toyota in WV last week while deer hunting with a propane camp stove for my meals and a warm drink.I paid for a hotel room in WV a few wks ago bow hunting and had to take a cold shower one of the nights there, go figure .Could have saved the money that night and slept in car.I see those old campers sitting in back yards all the time for years falling apart in disrepair.Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:08 PM
Regular Visitor

Volkswagen Westfalia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksw...stfalia_Camper

Those are pretty sweet little campers. I have been kicking around the idea of turning an old high top van (chevy van/ ram van / ford e series van) into a little hunting/fishing camper, but i'm out of room in the driveway. Another option is a slide in truck camper.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 06:56 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy View Post
My local paper has a 1984 Ford Coachman advertised for $1000 OBO.All it states is tires are fairly new and a new spare tire.As is.I don,t know if I am allowed to put the phone # on here or not.It is in the Observer-Reporter newspaper out of Washington,Pa.and you probably can look it up online.The phone #indicates it is located in the Canonsburg,Pa.area.
It is still for sale in the paper.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:27 AM

Some of my fondest memories of hunting were my first few years staying in my dad's slide-in truck camper. We'd drive right up the logging road and park in a big, flat pull off area. As soon as you walked out the door you were hunting. We had friends that would pull their tow campers up and a group from Fla who would stay in tents. We'd have our own little community. After several years my dad got a motor home and we would park in a pull off along Blue Jay Rd then just drive up the logging road. The last couple years he had a motor home he kept it parked at the Loleta Road Runner camp ground and we'd drive the 10 or so miles to our hunting spot. He claimed he didn't want a bullet hole in his camper but I just think he wanted water and electric hook up and a real bathroom and shower. I ended up buying a camp which was 13 miles away from our hunting area and dad sold the motorhome and bought a place in Florida.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bought this 19 foot hybrid a couple years ago cheap off Craigslist. The women that owned it put new canvas tents and awning and I went over the whole camper making sure everything worked. I used to rent cabins on some of my hunting trips back when there was four of us that hunted, but now I'm usually hunting by myself or one other person. I like this hybrid because it's easy to tow and you can store your gear in totes and keep it in the tent and still have room to sleep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0790.jpg (1.46 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0632 (2).jpg (2.40 MB, 8 views)
cspot likes this.

The older I get the better I was.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Interesting fact. Most RV's and Campers are built using construction technology based on a 10 year life.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone View Post
I bought this 19 foot hybrid a couple years ago cheap off Craigslist. The women that owned it put new canvas tents and awning and I went over the whole camper making sure everything worked. I used to rent cabins on some of my hunting trips back when there was four of us that hunted, but now I'm usually hunting by myself or one other person. I like this hybrid because it's easy to tow and you can store your gear in totes and keep it in the tent and still have room to sleep.

I am guessing with retirement you will be getting alot of use out of the hybrid this year.
Pa.Bone likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

I use my 5th wheel trailer as a mobile hunting camp for bird seasons. Been doing it now for the last several years from about the middle of Sept. thru the end of November. Prior to this trailer I did the same thing with a travel trailer.
It works out pretty well for me and I like it. Mostly hunting grouse and woodcock. Being retired affords me the time and the dogs seem to really like it too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page