Virginia's Beach in Erie - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Virginia's Beach in Erie

Anyone ever stay at Virginia's beach in Erie? We are heading there in two weeks, wondered what folk's experiences might have been. I have 3 boys, 7,5 and 3. Anything close by to do?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Virginia's Beach in Erie

It's a real nice place. Small pond with bass in it near the entrance. The lake is right down the road. If you go back to route 5 and go a little east to elk creek access, erie bluffs state park is at the access.

It's a good spot. Just not today.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 PM

A friend of the family owns it and they run a nice place. I highly reccomend it.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

We actually loved it, Sunset was spectacular. Funny story, the owner Rick and I actually went to school together as well. We will def go back.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:44 PM

Rick is really fun to party with!! I met Rick in the 80`s thru my brother who ended up marrying a school freind of his.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just got back from Erie. VB was one of our first places we stopped to check out and we didn't have a warm fuzzy. I suppose it would be okay if you have no kids that really want some of the creature comforts. We also checked out Sparrow Pond...this place is off the charts (will NOT stay here), and we stayed at the KOA just south of Erie. I can't say enough good about the KOA and we'll be staying there every year now. My boys had a blast, and I had a good time playing with the fish in the catch and release pond. I think i caught the same bass about 20 times...they were hitting really well, and armed with a 4.5 foot ultralight with 2lb test on it, even the sunnies were a good time let alone the 4 lb flathead i landed fishing with hot dogs the final night.

Depends on what you want...i was tent camping with 2 young kids and a newbie wife who had never slept in a tent before. She had a blast at the KOA and we've decided to make it a yearly destination.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 03:16 AM

Was looking at lake erie / erie camping destinations last year for a trip in August. Ended up staying at the Lampe Marina Campground run by the port authority. PROS: It is only a couple years old, facilities were clean and new. Everything paved. Liked the location, right at the port inlet. Bike trail from the campground to the erie waterfront. CONS: No Shade. If the winds aren't blowing off the water, could be very buggy. Wife is a light sleeper and didnt care for the all night noise from local industrial sites.

This past summer, in early June, we checked out Geneva State Park in OH for Lake Erie camping and liked it alot. Great bike trails, nice facilities, public beach, nice marina, paved everything. CONS: was right after the heavy spring rains, between all the campground loops were flooded/swamp, tons of mosquitoes.

Despite the skeeters, Geneva SP will be our Lake Erie shore camping destination of choice going forward.

Pretty reasonable to get there from the Western PA / Pittsburgh area. Make sure you have a full tank of gas before you get on OH 11 North, it is a desolate stretch of road devoid of gas stations (and everything else.)

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. <span style="font-style: italic">3 John 1:4</span>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page