Tent Recommendations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Tent Recommendations

I am hoping someone has some actual experience with some lightweight/backpacking tents for me.

I need a lightweight tent, preferably 3 man or even 4 man, if there is such a thing in a backpacking tent. Must be waterproof and sturdy in wind. This is for a DIY caribou hunt in Alaska. I really don't care about cost, but it must be a good, quality tent.

I have a 4 man Cabelas Alaska Wilderness Expedition tent, but it is just way too heavy for what I'm doing here. Thanks in advance for any info.

PS-I've been looking at the Cabelas Instinct Scout 3-man tent???
DP-A5 likes this.

Last edited by kudu58; 02-24-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Part of the Community

Wish I could help with a brand name, When I did my Dall sheep hunt we stayed in a backpack
tent for 13 days and stayed warm and dry the whole time.
Good luck finding a tent and on the hunt also.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks. On my grizzly hunt we had a Marmot and a Kelty tent. They did their job, but were a bit small for my liking which I guess is just part of those type tents. I can't for the life of me remember what models they were though. Just thought I'd ask for some real life experiences before I jumped on something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:34 AM
Frequent Contributor

Look at what kifaru offers. I donít own one but they seem to be the most popular among western hunters.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 07:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Be aware that 2 man or 3 man tent is very subjective. Some 2 man tents barely hold 1 with gear, 3 man holds 2 with gear. You nay want to consider 2 tents. I have not bought one for 20 years so I'm no help with brands

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 08:24 AM
Sage

If you get 2 tents, have a couple of shots of whisky.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 08:44 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would check out Kuiu and Nemo Equipment Tents. Yes, they are pricey but they are some of the best tents on the market. I know Nemo just introduced a new 4 season tent that is supposed to be top of the line, but I don't have any experience with it. I only have experience with their ultralight tents which probably wouldn't classify as 4 season or 3 season tents. I also agree wit the one comment. The capacity is always 1 person less than what they claim unless you keep all gear outside of the actual tent. Also, Kuiu has a new tent they released through a crowd funding project that incorporates a stove jack if you are looking for that.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
The Man

There are two of us going on the hunt. That's why I specified a 3 or 4 man tent in the original post. Two tents is really not an option for us. Weight is a big consideration. I need one good tent. Thanks all for the info so far. I will check some of these out.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 06:20 PM

We do 1 man tents for sleeping purposes only. Then a tarp for gear. We string it up if able. In the tundra we find a gully and put it across. That's the best to me. Little wind cozy even if you can't stand up. I have slept comfortably with just the tarp on a tundra gully. Not real bear safe though but I felt safer under a tarp then a tent where I couldn't see them coming. Obviously that is completely in my head. It also works well in AK because lots of river banks there are way back from the water. Use the bank as your high point. Gives a nice place to hang out and change gear. Not a huge tarp a 10x12 is fine.

Didn't vote for the husband. Not voting for the wife. #Liars
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Take a look at the Big Agnes tents. I have their big 8 person tent, so no real opinion on the smaller ones. But just going by quality of material and build, I am quite impressed with the tent. The Mountaineering series look to be what you're after.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.

Last edited by BCozhunter; 03-01-2018 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Because, English grammar....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page