Anyone here stealth camp? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Anyone here stealth camp?

The idea of stealth camping to alot of people conjures up someone sneaking onto private property late at night, or while on a bicycle trip or something. I'm talking camping on property that you have permission or such that it isn't breaking any laws. We've camped in the woods down the street a couple times. We've got permission to do so, so its not a problem. I enjoy it, just wish my kids were more into it like they used to be. They're too into their girlfriends and staying out late with their friends these days so my next campout is going to be a solo one. I like taking just a minimal pack with enough gear and food to get me through one night. I don't have a winter sleeping bag or I'd try a snowy overnight. I'm waiting until the weather gets a little better , then I'm going to try a solo overnighter under a cheapo tarp........Wondering if anyone else does this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Sage

What makes it stealth camping? Stealth denotes being sneaky and not being seen or known to be where you are. Just asking.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 07:50 PM

One man's stealth camping is another man's backpacking. FYI, you can camp like that practically anywhere on State Forest land.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

While I don't "primitive camp" anymore, I did a lot of it until I was about 40. If you truly want to try winter camping, a winter bag is not necessary. If you build a lean-to shelter and build a fire along the front you will stay warm enough. This set up is warmer than a tent. Of course be sure to have a nights supply of wood ready to go. Be sure to have a good thickness of pine boughs or a pad (better yet both) to insulate you from the ground. This not only keeps you warm but keeps the ground beneath you turning into mud.

Hopefully the kids will come back around to it in a few years. They often do.

Last edited by simoncool; 02-11-2018 at 08:25 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
What makes it stealth camping? Stealth denotes being sneaky and not being seen or known to be where you are. Just asking.
Stealth by my definition is camping in a place not normally considered to be a camp ground, and yes in a spot not known by others. Even with permission, I don't relish the idea of someone knowing I may be there, as you never know what somebody may have in mind.

When we camped out in the woods down the road, even with permission, I always brought along one of my firearms. I always carry when in the woods. You just never know.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:30 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
The idea of stealth camping to alot of people conjures up someone sneaking onto private property late at night, or while on a bicycle trip or something. I'm talking camping on property that you have permission or such that it isn't breaking any laws. We've camped in the woods down the street a couple times. We've got permission to do so, so its not a problem. I enjoy it, just wish my kids were more into it like they used to be. They're too into their girlfriends and staying out late with their friends these days so my next campout is going to be a solo one. I like taking just a minimal pack with enough gear and food to get me through one night. I don't have a winter sleeping bag or I'd try a snowy overnight. I'm waiting until the weather gets a little better , then I'm going to try a solo overnighter under a cheapo tarp........Wondering if anyone else does this.

Do you snore? It wont be stealth for long.....
bigguy54 and Pahack like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:38 PM

We did that type of camping all summer long when we were teenagers . Thought about teaching my daughter how it's done comfortably , but then this tick infestation started and I lost interest real quick . I know Permethrin works well , but I just can't bear the thought of my daughter dealing with Lyme's the rest of her life . Just not worth the risk .
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dad View Post
We did that type of camping all summer long when we were teenagers . Thought about teaching my daughter how it's done comfortably , but then this tick infestation started and I lost interest real quick . I know Permethrin works well , but I just can't bear the thought of my daughter dealing with Lyme's the rest of her life . Just not worth the risk .
That's why you go before the ticks start getting active. Early spring is usually a little too cold for ticks, but not so cold that its uncomfortable to sleep out at night.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 05:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A lot of state forests have primitive camping areas that seem to never get hit. And by primitive I mean there's a couple flat spots with fire rings. These are great though maybe you wouldn't consider them "Stealth". They're often in the middle of nowhere and don't have facilities so it's still roughing it. I booked a site a couple of labor days ago when every campground in the Pine Creek valley was booked. Driving up the dirty road a ways we weren't actually sure what we were looking for in these campgrounds so we found a spot with a pull off and hiked down to the creek to set up camp "stealth" mode. After setting up we went for a short walk up the road and not two hundred yards from where we pulled off were these beautiful campsites under pine trees sitting right on a crick with a little fishing hole and rock wall. There were 3-5 sites right there and nobody using them, on Labor day weekend. I believe I found a gem there, so if you're looking for a place up north PM me and I can guide you to those sites.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 03:27 PM

Much of winter camping is just knowing how to stay warm. It doesn't require a massive amount of sleeping bag, blankets, etc. As mentioned a simple tarp with a fire before it can act as a heat reflector and keep a person quite comfortable, as long as the fire is burning at least a bit. It is somewhat similar to the way a tipi worked and some tribes withstood horribly cold winters in those. Where a tarp is just two dimensional, a Tipi is cone shaped and has a way for the air to circulate between the cover and the inner liner. I know folks who use four tarps in a rectangle. The top is open to allow smoke out, but the tarps stop the cold air that would normally draft along the ground from the outer perimeter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page