Algonquin Provincial Park - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Algonquin Provincial Park

Just wondering if anyone has canoed, camped and fished this park? I have been reading and looking at maps for a bit and its been information overload. Not looking for secret fishing spots, just general info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have been to Algonquin PP once about 15 years ago. I was working at the time for a company that was headquartered in Toronto, so I drove up to Algonquin one Saturday while up there on official business. Beautiful remote area with all the wildlife you associate with the deep northwoods; like loons, wolves and bear. The lakes are extremely clear, the fishing great and the scenery wonderful. Additionally, my brother has canoed up there twice; and had great experiences both times. He said the bugs weren't as bad as he expected them to be. I hope that's your experience as well.
I hope you're able to go. I think you'll really enjoy your time there. It really is a special place.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 01:49 PM

Was there way back in the 70's. Don't recall if we had the "pop-up" or the little hardside trailer, but we stayed in one of the park campgrounds. No canoe but we did drag a 12' V hull into one of the "roadside" lakes. We didn't catch any(an uncle fished that same lake before and caught brook trout) . Did see my first live bear on that lake later Pop sent me back in to police our take out spot. I will say it was a quick look around... kind of scary for a little guy.

About the only other thing I remember was the rangers would take you out to howl for the wolves.... I didn't buy it figured there were other rangers + tourists 1mile away on another road howling back... LOL

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I am planning a 3 night trip with my wife in September to canoe and camp on a couple lakes. If I like the area, I plan to return in the spring of 2019 for a 7 to 10 day solo trip into the interior of the park. I think there is good brook trout fishing to be had, but it takes some effort to get into the lakes that hold them.

Hopefully I see lots of wildlife and get some good pictures to share.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 03:23 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've had the good fortune of going to Alqonquin a few times, including a multiple-day backpacking trip utilizing the Western Uplands loop and a lengthy side trip near the northern end and a week-long canoeing excursion. It is a marvelous park with tremendous opportunities for wildlife viewing. Having said that, depending on when you go either the mosquitoes or black flies can be worse than you can imagine. DEET is your friend. Don't worry about the possible side effects, just slather it on and refresh frequently😀
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:04 AM

Probably a bit far from you but for others who might be interested I saw this on the PGC site (upcoming events)....

April 8, Cabin Fever Sunday, Harrisburg; 12:30
Introduction to Algonquin Provincial Park - Join Pennsylvania State Game Wardens as we partner with DCNR Secretary Cindy Adams Dunn and DCNR Deputy Secretary for Parks and Forestry, John Norbeck to learn about Ontario’s Algonquin Provincial Park. The park boasts thousands of lakes, hundreds of miles of trails (canoe, hiking and biking), two museums, an art center, 14 campgrounds and several lodges for fantastic vacation experiences. In a country famous for canoeing, Algonquin stands out as one of Canada’s best wilderness canoe tripping destinations. By presenting glimpses of past trips, Dirk Dixon, a long-time member of The Canoe Club of Greater Harrisburg, will provide insight into the excellent vacation opportunities Algonquin has to offer. Members of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association and Shanks Mare Outfitters from Wrightsville Pennsylvania will also be available to discuss paddling adventures and the variety of traditional wooden canoes and modern kayaks available for your outdoor enjoyment. Displays and doors open at 12:30 p.m., presentation starts at 2 p.m. and is about 40 minutes in length. Game Commission Headquarters; 2001 Elmerton Avenue; Harrisburg 17110.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Yes, that is a little far for me, but it does sound very interesting.

Thanks for the info.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page