Mt Waternomee B-18 Crash site NH - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Mt Waternomee B-18 Crash site NH

Our family went on our summer vacation to the White Mountains of New Hampshire this summer. We do a fair amount of hiking in PA so we where looking forward to doing some hiking in a different part of the country. I Googled hikes in the White Mountains and this one caught my attention. It listed the hike as moderate difficulty and I though we would give it a go. It was approximately a 5 mile hike round trip. It started off fairly easy with the first 1.5 mile of it on a logging road. It was pretty boring except the set of moose track we saw in the mud. At the end of the road it turns and heads into the wood and follows a small stream. It was a gradual uphill climb till the trail turned and crosses the stream. It went up over a fairly steep incline then leveled off again. Through the trees we could see a fairly large waterfall. My son and I decided to take a closer look. It was well worth the side trip. After the detour we headed back to the trail and then the climb began. It was very rough terrain and all uphill. When we got to where we thought we where close my son went ahead to see if he could find it. I stayed behind with my wife and daughter. I yelled for my son and he yelled back that he still hadn't found it yet and the trail was still climbing. I told the girls to hang tight and I would try and catch up with my son and see how rough the going was. The further I went I realized my daughter wasn't going to be able to make it. I texted my wife and told them to just wait and see if we where close enough for them to make it. I caught up with my son and we went around another 1/2 to 3/4 mile in some of the hardest uphill hiking we had ever done. Just when we were about to give up we found the site. I would not call this a moderate hike, I would say its a very hard hike. In the end we got to see what we came to look at and can probably say we hiked to something that not to many people have seen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170711_161434.jpg (938.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20170711_165858.jpg (635.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20170711_165714.jpg (971.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20170711_165733.jpg (1.03 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20170711_170134.jpg (926.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20170711_171044.jpg (920.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20170711_170511.jpg (1,014.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20170711_171118.jpg (1.22 MB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for sharing the great pics! And thanks to our Service Men and Women!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:14 PM

Pretty neat, there is a similar place near my house in Centre Co. where a hiking trail leads to the crash site of a air mail pilot who crashed in the 30's or 40's I want to say. People have piled up some of the wreckage near a stone memorial on top of the mountain, but it's nothing on the scale of the wreckage like your spot.

There is also a place down in Maryland in the Savage River State Forest where a B-52 carrying nukes went down in a storm in the 1960's. I've not been to the actual crash sight but I have hiked in to the monument along Poplar lick creek. I believe the monument is at a spot where one of the crew members bodies was found. If I remember correctly the crew was able to eject from the plane before the crash but 1 or 2 ended up dying in the woods from exposure during the bad winter storm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page