Walked into Cabelas to buy a holster, walked out - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Walked into Cabelas to buy a holster, walked out

With a 12x20 Alaknak and vestibule for half price, got to love their bargain cave

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:44 PM

I'm always leary of the bargain cave. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it no warranty no return?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Yep, as is buying. The guy told me, if there was anything wrong with it, it wouldnt be here, we shall see when I set it up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:49 AM

Shortly after they opened(Hamburg store) I saw a box of 3 full body goose decoys. I forget the actual price but the price per decoy was higher than buying a full box of 4. I've also looked at waders in there but the no return policy scares me, hate to buy them only to find they leak.

As far as the salesman saying if it was broke it wouldn't be in the "bargain cave". Don't believe that for a minute seen plenty of things that were "broke" - maybe missing parts is a better term.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:00 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I live near that store and go there semi-regularly. I used to go pretty often, but it's been on a down-hill slide for a while. The Bargain Cave used to be awesome...now it's less so.

A few things I have seen/observed:

-Plenty of broken/damaged/torn/stained/etc stuff is in there. As an example, they had a pack of large rifle primers once that I wanted opened so I could be sure they were what the package said they were. When it was opened, it had about 10 primers in it total.

-Electronics and optics do carry a 30-day return window when bought from the bargain cave.

-Cabela's brand items get a lifetime warranty from Cabela's, until they sell them in the Cave. Then it's as-is. I still don't understand that, but it's how they do it.

-I saw some smokers in there last year that were in damaged packaging but were new, but marked down as a result of the damaged boxes. They had 8-10 of them in there. I decided to go upstairs to see them on the shelf and see if I liked that model. It was $20 cheaper on the retail shelves than it was in the Cave.

-Many items in there are marked "missing parts". You have to look on the tags (if the item has one, which isn't a given), and they usually...not always...list why the item is there in the cave.

-There ARE good buys in there. You just have to go into it "eyes open" and really look the thing over and be sure of what you're looking at. The Cave is not the place to buy something you're not very, very familiar with and able to spot problems without assistance.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:37 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
I'm always leary of the bargain cave. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it no warranty no return?
I shoot recurve archery tackle, and have three different Bears. I was in the Hamburg store, probably 10 years ago and found a "fancy" Martin in the Bargain Cave. The strike plate was barely marred, so my first thought was "yep, he/she wanted to play Fred Bear so he/she parked the wheelbow, bought this, couldn't hit a house with it without the gizmos & doodads, and brought it back for a refund." So, I couldn't help myself and brought it home. Hunted one big game season with it and the following spring got ready for turkey hunting from a tent. I went to the garage to get it from its place on the wall, hanging from two pegs on the string. I thought someone had taken it, until I found it on the floor in two pieces of kindling.
It was probably returned for the reason I said, nothing to do with the quality of the product. But now I stay out of the Bargain Cave.

Forget about the danger...think of the fun!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 11:46 PM
New Arrival

Some years back I bought Martin recurve bow from the Bargain Cave at Hamburg. I guess the 2nd season with it, the limbs warped a couple times. I tried fixing them with the hot water/kitchen sink method, and had some success. I left it strung (I have 3 Bears that stay strung, so don't say it....) & made room for it on the garage wall. I went out to the garage one day after huntiing season was over, and the Martin was gone. I walked over to the rack, and it was laying in three pieces on the floor - prettiest pile of kindling you ever saw. I always go in the BC when I go to Cabelas but I don't think I've bought anything since the Martin bow.

Forget about the danger...think of the fun!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 09:26 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I was just in the Cave recently and saw a pair of Walker electronic hearing protectors that I was thinking of getting.

I asked the rep in the cave to confirm that there was still a 30-day return window on optics and electronics.

She said the policy was recently changed and now everything is buy as-is, no returns, no warranty. Not even on Cabela's branded stuff that supposedly has a lifetime warranty.

Just an FYI.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 AM

You better check for termites.

TENPT
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
The Man

An update on the tent and vestibule. The tent roof had about a dozen ember holes in it, and the stove jack ring will eventually need replaced, as well as some missing stakes. I repaired the ember holes with tenacious tape and seem sealer, Ill wait till next year to repair the stove jack and picked up some surplus army tent stakes. The vestibule looks to have never been set up. So Im into the whole thing for 650ish. Still really really pleased with the whole thing!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170609_184637.jpg (921.4 KB, 18 views)
Marcus99 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page