Old Loggers Path - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Old Loggers Path

Have any of you hiked this trail ? Loggy and ManfromShunk must have at some point. I think this Spring I am going to backpack it with my Labrador . Twenty seven miles would be a two night out trip . Appears to follow old railroad grades mostly with only a few steep climbs . Sounds like a perfect weekender/3 day trip !

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 07:26 PM

Re: Loggers Path

Check out the trail at http:ExplorePAtrails.com where they have a write up on the trail. It is called Old Loggers Path.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Thanks,nessmuk. It appears that elevation change is only 400 feet . A far cry from the Black Forest Trail and the Susquehannock ! May be a good re-introduction after all these years .</span>

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 01:32 PM
The Man

I've been on it around Masten but never "hiked" it. We were scouting for turkey season when we were on it.

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Sage

Re: Old Loggers Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn Anthony
Have any of you hiked this trail ? Loggy and ManfromShunk must have at some point. I think this Spring I am going to backpack it with my Labrador . Twenty seven miles would be a two night out trip . Appears to follow old railroad grades mostly with only a few steep climbs . Sounds like a perfect weekender/3 day trip !
Finn...only went in a few miles on several hunts. That sounds like a great 27 mile treck fer sure!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It's a nice and relatively easy trail with one of PA's great swimming holes. I hiked it a few years ago with my brother and his then young son. There are lots of rattlesnakes in that area. I saw more on that hike than any other I've been on. Nearly every outcropping had a couple. It was pretty neat.
If you go to the Keystone Trails Association Web site there are updates on PAs trails and other info.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks,trailman. Not a big fan of snakes here. Most I have seen were on the Black Forest Trail.They sure keep you focused Is the swimming hole there at the meeting of two streams ?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Part of the Community

I hiked old loggers path like seven years ago. It was a beautiful summer trip. It was a group trip with about twenty hikers. It was an awesome trip and my first backpacking experience. Nice and easy hike good for a relaxig getaway.

If the landing gear ain't down I ain't shootin
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

I was out on it some this bear season. We hiked only a few miles here and a few miles there. The main thing I can say is that the fenced in areas make it a little less easy and nice but they have gates in the fences for you. Not a difficult trail. Has one of the most spectacular vistas in Sharp Top Vista on it. Good luck and enjoy it.

Yes we have electricity in Shunk... We just have to feed the squirrels every day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page