Anyone here ever stealth camp on a hunt? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Anyone here ever stealth camp on a hunt?

Two years ago my son and I stealth camped on a turkey hunt. Had always wanted to try it. We got to our spot the night before about 10:30pm. Took our hunting gear, plus sleeping gear in with us and slept under the stars. Was nice in that the next morning we didn't' have to hump it up the mountain and exhaust ourselves right before dawn. We had a tarp in case it rained but we didn't need it. Wondering if anyone else has camped out the night before a hunt.

BTW - this was on private property. I'm aware of the no camping rules on SGL's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 03:08 AM
The Man

Re: Anyone here ever stealth camp on a hunt?

When I was younger, I was a guide/packer in Montana. We weren't hunting, but scouting and we just put our packs on and slept wherever we finished the day for a couple days. Same as you we took a tarp with us and used it for one semi-miserable night. One night we slept at around 10,000 feet. We had elk bugling a little as we went to sleep. Woke up in the morning and watched a couple mountain goats above us as we ate breakfast.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 11:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

No but thinking of it. Just can't leave my car, so will need to get dropped off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 01:51 PM
Sage

One time in the Adirondaks deer hunting... Our group had a tent/lean-to camp set up... Was warm and dry and extremely noisy walking.. I decided to not return to camp and spend the night in the woods; Naturally I informed the group of my decision so they would not go into panic mode... had an MRE water and that was it, along with my rifle & knife..

Huddled up next to a stump and spent the night. All for naught, never did see a deer A long cold night and the worst part was the MRE should have had an instant coffee but instead had cocoa was Not a happy camper so to speak!

wmu 3A
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Huddled up next to a stump and spent the night.
Wonder what the stump thunk of that ? Poor stump.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 02:56 PM

Hey thimbledoinker, say this 3X real fast.

"The Stump thought the Skunk Stunk and the Skunk thought the Stump Stunk."

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 04:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What if the stump sunk while the skunk stunk?

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 05:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Unless you were trespassing, it was just camping. "Stealth campers" are just lazy dirtbags who listened to to much 5 man electric band and assume they are special snowflakes. From every site that I have seen they seem to promote trespassing without openly saying it.

Camping by being in a place you are allowed to be and using "leave no trace" principles is a great way to camp. You can hang a hammock in any national forest, the only restriction is you cant have a open fire. A 30 dollar backpack stove and a little prior planning will solve food problems.
It isnt "stealth" anything. I guess if your tarp is green you can call it stealth. My pack is green gray, the hammock is green brown, and the bug net is black, so I guess I "stealth camp", at least until I start snoring.

Yes I have humped in for a hunt. It is kind of nice as long as the weather is good.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintmist
Unless you were trespassing, it was just camping. "Stealth campers" are just lazy dirtbags who listened to to much 5 man electric band and assume they are special snowflakes. From every site that I have seen they seem to promote trespassing without openly saying it.

Camping by being in a place you are allowed to be and using "leave no trace" principles is a great way to camp. You can hang a hammock in any national forest, the only restriction is you cant have a open fire. A 30 dollar backpack stove and a little prior planning will solve food problems.
It isnt "stealth" anything. I guess if your tarp is green you can call it stealth. My pack is green gray, the hammock is green brown, and the bug net is black, so I guess I "stealth camp", at least until I start snoring.

Yes I have humped in for a hunt. It is kind of nice as long as the weather is good.
Well, I'll agree to disagree with your definition of "Stealth Camp". Stealth Camping encompasses camping in places that are normally not considered camp sites. The term was corrupted by those who do camp illegally and it is not fair to consider all who camp in this fashion as doing something illicit. We camped in a place we have permission to hunt and the owner of the land knew we were there. His only issue to us was no fires, and we honored his request, and did not light one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page