ANF Camp Grounds? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

ANF Camp Grounds?

I'm looking for a place to camp with the family out near the ANF for the end of June. We've stayed at cooks forest (a little big for our tastes) and chapman dam sp (would consider going back). I'm looking for some place a little different that we haven't been before. I like the looks of the ANF campgrounds, but as I've never stayed at one I'm wondering what they're like. We prefer a smaller campground with sites that aren't on top of one another. Showers are nice but not a necessity. As we have a 1 yo, the boat in sites are out. Also would like lots of stuff to see/do within a reasonable distance. Anyone have any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: ANF Camp Grounds?

Try Kiasutha or Red Bridge on the Kinzua arm of the Allegheny Reservoir.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 11:46 AM
Part of the Community

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...rk/clearcreek/

The problem is - YOU ARE LATE!

I would venture to say that at most places, you need to make your reservations at least one year in advance..

http://hideawaycottages.net/cottage10.html

My favorite is Lolita, way back in the woods, not a lot of people, just far enough away from town - Marionville - that you wouldn't want to just jump in the car every-time you wanted something, but close enough that if you needed something, it is only a couple of miles away!

No reservation needed, just show up and pay your money and camp. Bring a tent and a cooler full of food and a grill and stay as long as you would like.

I have even seen people that stayed for a week. Left their tents, went home and worked and came back the next weekend and no one bothered their stuff.

Some of the best trout fishing you ever saw is up around Lolita. The water is crystal clear and the swimming hole is pristine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

I know that I'm a little late on reservations at the more popular parks...that's okay by me. I'd rather avoid the crowds ;-)

Thanks for the advice gentleman! I'm looking at either dew drop or loleta.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 11:50 AM
The Man

Try Twin Lakes along rte 321 South of Kane. There is a small playground and beach for kids. There is a walking path around the lake and obviously fishing in the lake.
Now the campsites are rather close, but they are rarely full and it shouldn't be difficult to get alone.
Plus you are close to Kane if you'd need anything for the baby and are within driving distance of a lot of stuff.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 03:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Check out Beaver Meadows in Marienville. It's a pay when you get there spot, has outhouses but no showers. Even has a lake for fishing.

Free Madcatter!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 01:14 PM
Part of the Community

Personally I camp in the forest, not in campgrounds. But that's me.

I believe (could be wrong) each camp ground in the ANF has first come first served sites set aside, they don't allow all to be reserved.

There are some great boat access only sites, if you have a boat. Check out the ANF website. http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/alle...camping-cabins
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 01:31 PM
M&M
New Arrival

Perhaps check out the Army Corps of Engineers lakes and campgrounds. We haven't stayed at any of the campgrounds up by ANF yet, but have always had a great experience at several others... http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/vis...s.cfm?state=PA
We will be trying Tionesta later in the summer...
http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/vis...cfm?Id=H418260
Good luck. And let us know where you choose to go and how you like it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the input. If our son was older we'd definitely be boating in...but at a yr old I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet ;-)

As for the corp's campsites, I have camped at tionesta overflow and it was a great campground. That being said the corp's prohibits the carrying of firearms regardless of whether you have a LTCF. Therefore it's not even an option for me.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 07:35 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

FYI -

Checked out Beaver Meadows this past Wednesday. It has been closed for camping at least three years. Ran into a Forest Service employee there who said they aren't sure if or when it will ever open again. Was told however that the lake can still be used by non-motorized craft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page