Looking to do a float this spring - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Looking to do a float this spring

Hey guys managed to get my hands on a canoe and my brother and I are looking to do a 2 day/1 night float this spring. Looking ideas of where to put in and take out. I live in lebanon and he lives near pittsburgh so we could meet a lot of places in between. Ideally we could like to camp on an island as well as be able to do some fishing along the way. Looking for any suggestions as well as how many miles we should be looking at. We would be setting out around 9 on a saturday morning and want to reach our destination around 4 in the afternoon on sunday.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 01:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Looking to do a float this spring

Spring weather may be nice but the rivers tend to be high and fast and muddy with very cold water. You may want to wait until late May

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 06:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

You have the Juniata River. Check out the different sites on Juniata River.com. Also years back I did a canoe trip on a river that runs around Bedford and Rt 30. Can't remember the name of the river, but I think we put in around Somerset and pulled out at Bedford. Also Ohiopyle River, but that will be a fast run in the spring. My son did the Susequhanna in May a couple years ago right after graduation from college. Put in at Williamsport and was supposed to be picked up at Middletown, but continuous rain for 2 days kind of wash them out.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 04:55 PM

Go to the fish comm, web site and check out their river trail section.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

thanks guys i'll check out the suggested sites. How many miles an hour to you guys figure when you float?

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The Allegheny River down stream from Warren. Many islands to camp on,beware tho,we've still got a lot of snow on the ground and it will take a while for the water levels to go down. No matter where you go, a float is a fantastic way to get to enjoy Pa. In slow motion!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 01:37 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer
thanks guys i'll check out the suggested sites. How many miles an hour to you guys figure when you float?
About 2 1/2 miles per hour.

Pine Creek is a very nice float. For a weekend, go Ansonia to Blackwell. Camp at the DCNR campsite at Tiadaghton. There is only one major rapids, at Owassee. Find out where the Owassee rapids is, and when you get there, stay left, and you'll be fine.

Pine Creek has fishing for stocked trout, and smallmouth bass. You see eagles there often. On a weekend float you're almost sure to see at least one. And it's a very scenic landscape.

There's a book called Keystone Canoeing that has lots of maps and good info on where to go.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks troutbert I'll look into the book. I'm sure I can find it on amazon or something. Just talked to my bro today looks like were thinking memorial day weekend for now. I'll do a little research here and check back when I figure some stuff out or come up with some more questions.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Speed depends on the amount of water. Sounds simplistic, but I guess it is. In early spring on the Allegeheny you can get 4+ mph floating IF there is a lot of rain. That can get a little hairy and annoying on a "fun" trip.

For the most part, dont figure on more than 2mph.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 11:33 AM

Clarion River.............

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page