Sub-zero tent? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sub-zero tent?

Hi guys. I'm interested in doing more winter camping a fair way into the woods using a tent as a shelter. Does right now I am using a simple dome tent. Does anyone know of a tent that can accomodate a wood stove but is light enough for a solo camper to pack in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:57 PM

Re: Sub-zero tent?

You are worried about a light tent , but are carrying a woodstove back in the mountains ??

Enjoy each day afield as if it were your last.....take the time to take it all in !
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Portable wood stoves are not very heavy. Here's and example of a 12 pounder. Packing gear out will take a couple trips but is manageable. A 125 lb canvas tent is not very packable for a solo camper nor is it easy to set up.

Does anyone have a tent recommendation?

http://www.westernwalltents.com/catalog/...products_id=166
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have a recommendation but a sled or cart makes it easy to haul heavy loads.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 04:46 PM

All the tents I found that accommodate a wood stove are packed in by horse or machine . A packable light tent would be heated by propane or fuel stove . But that would be a lot of fuel . Maybe a Tipi-tent ?

http://tipitent.com/
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Kifaru makes lighter weight tents and tipi style stuff not cheap but either is any quality gear. I don't have any first hand expierence just know it gets good reviews.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 05:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Kifaru
http://store.kifaru.net/shelters-c5.aspx

But from personal experience in very high arctic late winter camping, frozen icepack Beaufort Sea Arctic ocean. Keeping a little unleaded fuel cooking stove at simmer until you go to sleep will literally keep the tent warm in -40 again from actual experience. In a small tent with a thermometer at the peak of tent will be 70's floor around freezing. They are extremely efficient, also faster, safer, and cleaner than a wood fire. Throw a tarp over the tent and then snow partway up the tent. Amazing how warm it will get inside. With wood or gas be careful with carbon monoxide.

Not real cold here but a couple hundred miles north of Arctic Circle north side of Brooks Range. Morning usually in the teens. Stove used in tent about 1:25 into video.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1077539...41183332072674

On the Beaufort Sea for a week, night temps about -40 day highs about -25. You can see piled up snow coming in front door. Heater is the single burner on the left.

Camp from outside:

Literally heading out the door right now for 2 nights. Wanted to earlier in the week but the left front tire on my truck went through the ice crossing a creek and it was game over.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:12 PM

There are some simple one pole and or pole less canvas tents made Panther Primitives and Rk lodges and others. My 8 x 8 baker style takes poles to set up, but weighs only about 10 lbs without stakes etc. Small "A" frame tents can weigh less. A wood stove can mean stove pipe etc. A small alcohol or other stove can be less weight and more efficient.

An acquaintance used a small alcohol stove to heat his tent. It was basically a small dry gas can with a small wick sticking through a hole in the cap. He carried a spare cap to seal it. Alcohol burns very hot and nearly flameless. I thought it quite dangerous, but the heat that thing put out necessitated opening the flaps to cool off. He winter camped in an 8 x 8 wall tent.
Just a candle lamp can raise a wall tent internal temp by ten degrees.

There are several Youtube videos on snow caves and heating them. Depending on the snow cover, a snow cave is better than a tent. There is one such video that shows a small wood fire in a snow cave and how to build a firespot/chimney off to the side.

My winter rig requires a truck to haul it, complete with a 90 pound cast iron Jotul airtight wood stove.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the info, guys. Tundra, that looks awesome. Where is it and what were you hunting?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a candle lantern and a compact oil lantern (like a Dietz but smaller and made in Germany). I wonder if I could burn rubbing alcohol and get some heat without suffocating myself? I could maybe hand it from the ceiling of the dome tent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page