West Branch - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

West Branch

of the Susquhanna.

Anyone ever do a 4-6 day from near the beggining covering about 60-80 miles?

I like to figure 15-20 mi on the Allgeheny per day. With normal water flow that is about 7 hours afloat and that is enough for the kids and us old guys. We are used to a 0730 start, the scouts have their crap together so breaking camp isnt a problem. Then a hour for lunch, and get off the water at around 3:30 giving them lots of time to set up, mess sround in the river or throw a football, eat, whatever, and still hit the rack at a decent time.

Starting to plan the spring trip for next year for the scouts and we have done the fun parts of the Allgeheny multiple times. Time to try new water. We are going to do a 2 nighter this Sept on the Clarion, and we have people who have floated it a lot, and a Oct weekend where we are going to put in at Fishermans cove Fri night, float to Danner to camp, then head for Emlenton.

We have never done the W branch but it looks like it is a pretty run and from the info I found on the interwebs, there is camping pretty much every where.

Anyone ever do something like that there?

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 11:31 PM
The Man

Re: West Branch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintmist
of the Susquhanna.

Anyone ever do a 4-6 day from near the beggining covering about 60-80 miles?

I like to figure 15-20 mi on the Allgeheny per day. With normal water flow that is about 7 hours afloat and that is enough for the kids and us old guys. We are used to a 0730 start, the scouts have their crap together so breaking camp isnt a problem. Then a hour for lunch, and get off the water at around 3:30 giving them lots of time to set up, mess sround in the river or throw a football, eat, whatever, and still hit the rack at a decent time.

Starting to plan the spring trip for next year for the scouts and we have done the fun parts of the Allgeheny multiple times. Time to try new water. We are going to do a 2 nighter this Sept on the Clarion, and we have people who have floated it a lot, and a Oct weekend where we are going to put in at Fishermans cove Fri night, float to Danner to camp, then head for Emlenton.

We have never done the W branch but it looks like it is a pretty run and from the info I found on the interwebs, there is camping pretty much every where.

Anyone ever do something like that there?
There are some good floats on the WB, you have to do it early in the year though, or the water gets too low........usually not too long after Memorial Day is the end of it being enjoyable

You could do a multi night float from Shawville to Keating, It would be a 3 day 2 night trip......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 12:56 AM
The Man

We floated about 10 years ago in October during the early ML season. After some rains the river was more than raging. I cant remember where right now but there was a class 3 section that was the most insanse I have ever gone through. Again river was real high due to rain. Very very remote, camping is good esp at the mouth of creeks like Yost run, and Jews Run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 10:52 AM
The Man

When I was in high school I went on a West Branch canoe trip with a church camp, 2 years in a row. They do the trip in early June. Around that time the kids are out of school, and the flows are usually still high enough. In low water years they switch to the North Branch. Much later into the summer than early June and the West Branch is often too low.

So, you want to figure out what the right flow levels are, and go by the gauges. Too low and you're dragging the canoes. Too high and it's dangerous.

We put in just below the dam at the Shawville power plant, and went about 5 days. Usually they would end up somewhere near Renovo.

A nice weekend run is from the PFBC access near Karthaus, down to Keating.

Regarding camping. Get the state forest maps and try to camp on state forest land as much as possible.

People canoe this stretch a fair bit, and there are obvious camping spots that other groups have used, with level ground cleared because other people have pitched tents there, and obvious stone fire rings.

A lot of scout groups run this, so you should be able to network and talk to other scout leaders who know the river.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 12:41 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by missed again
We floated about 10 years ago in October during the early ML season. After some rains the river was more than raging. I cant remember where right now but there was a class 3 section that was the most insanse I have ever gone through. Again river was real high due to rain. Very very remote, camping is good esp at the mouth of creeks like Yost run, and Jews Run.
Moshannon falls is a short class 2 section, it gets to class 3 in high water.........it is just up from the confluence of the Red Moshannon with the WB

There is also a class 2 section below Shawville, it is called the rams horn, it turns pretty nasty when the water gets high.......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page