Pop-Up Camper and Generator Question? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Pop-Up Camper and Generator Question?

The cable that pulls out from the side of my camper wont fit my outlets on generator but it fits with an adapter in the 5-20r outlet which says household.Will this outlet power a TV,DVD player and a 60 watt light?Here is a pic of it plugged into this 5-20r outlet!!

Here is a pic of the RV ready plug that says TT-30r but none of my plugs fit this outlet.The outlet is way bigger than any of my plugs.Here is a pic of TT-30r outlet on generator.

Here is a pic of air conditioner plug that also doesnt fit any outlet on the generator.What kind adapters do I need for the plugs?

Psalms 136.1 Give Thanks Unto The Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Pop-Up Camper and Generator Question?

I'm not sure why you are using an adapter between your camper male end and the generator. Won't the camper male plug fit into the center outlet marked "RV Ready Outlet"? That is basically a 30amp plug, designed to run all your camping needs.

Campers are pretty simple. If you don't run your AC, or the microwave while you have a 3 electric fans, 2 TV's and a DVR running at the same time, you can get away with a regular-20 amp 3 prong plug.

In answer to your question, you should be able to run the TV. DVD, and a light. If you microwave popcorn, you may see things getting dimmer or trip the breaker on the generator.

On most popups, the AC unit runs off a special outlet somewhere on the camper. It is designed to be used only when the camper is plug in, and gets it power through the camper. If your generator is big enough, you should be able to plug into it with the 30 amp plug, plug your AC into the correct outlet on the camper, and run everything.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

The camper cable male plug doesn't fit in any of the generators outlets,that is the reason I'm using the adapter,it only fits the 5-20r outlet.can I purchase an adapter that will fit my camper cable male end and fit my RV ready outlet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 12:26 AM
Part of the Community

Look on the camper cord plug carefully. Is it 30amp or 50amp, is it 125volt or 250volt. Your a/c cord end should go into the outlet on the right in your picture. The normal camper cord electical rating (unless it's a large RV)is 30amp-125volt.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 12:36 AM
Part of the Community

The generator picture has the correct outlets, the a/c plug appears to match the outlet on the right. Take the adapter off the main power cord (and remove it from the gen.), turn the plug so the cord is down and it should be a match.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 01:00 PM
New Arrival

What wattage generator? For a pop-up the 4000 watt is enough to run the AC. To double check, what is the rating in watts of the AC? Or take Amps x Volts = Watts to get the watts. Remember that start-up of an AC draws more than just constant running.

The outlets on the generator appear to be (left to right) a 30amp 120V twist lock, 30amp 120V RV, and 20amp 120V. The AC plug is 20amp therefore the "twisted" terminal on the side, typical receptacles are only rated to 15amps and therefore are not heavy enough to power the AC. That's why the different plug on the AC. As for the RV, your best bet is to get the correct adapter to plug into the 30Amp plug. Below is link to Cabelas to check out the many different types of adapters to see if you can find a female end to match your RV end, with a 30Male to plug into your generator.

Cabela's Dogbones
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks alot

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 03:16 PM

It appears your rv outlet is a 220 w/neutral and your plug end is 120v

"You meet a better class of people in the dark."
-LP

Ever get lonely? Remember the NSA is right there with you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page