overnight camping trips? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

overnight camping trips?

Its getting closer to summer and i just realized that i haven't taken a vacation in the last five years other then hunting camp. So i decided that is summer i would, and the only vacations that seem to interest me are overnight camping trips but i have no idea where to try. I would like to take the kayak on trips down rivers maybe on a lake and camp out somewhere i can get away from everything be completely on my own. Hiking also is another option. I worked with a fellow outdoors man the previous season who goes to Canada and takes a boat across a lake to an island camps an just fishes for a week on the lake and that sounds like the perfect weekend to me is there any places in central PA or any where in PA that just getting away is still possible?

From September to April my world revolves around hunting the rest is preseason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: overnight camping trips?

Try Pine Creek in north PA. You can do as many nights as you want and there are people that will pick you up and return you back to your car. My kids just came and got our canoe and kayaks to go to some island on the Susquehanna River putting in on the York County side. About 6 guys so you know they won't get much sleep. They do different islands all the time. This time of year is better when the islands are not so grown up with weeds. My one son whitewater kayaks all the time in WV, VA, NY and PA. Over waterfalls and Class 4 and I think class 5 rapids. You can catch his videos on u-tube under "Fatty Brown" or vimeo.com

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 11:53 PM

Kinzua/allegheny national forest is another great option. It has a lot of boat access or hike in only campsites. You could easily kill a weekend back packing or boating on the reservoir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/watertrails/trailindex.htm

PA water trails. You could do the Juniata or the Susquhanna West. There are a lot of places to float and camp.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

up Tionesta area there is a canoe place, I think its called outback adventures. Its right at the bridge, you leave your vehicle there and they drive you upriver. You just let them know how long you will be gone and you canoe back. There are islands in the middle of the Allegheny you can camp on. We do it every summer as a father/child canoe trip. It doesn't cost much and is fun, you can camp/canoe/fish/swim. Good luck with whatever you decide.

http://www.outbackadventurespa.com/

Molon Labe
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looked on their website and FYI, there are private islands in the Alleghenny, not many but a couple.
Oil City has some rapids, sometimes rough, sometimes not bad. Depends on water level. Thats below Tionesta though.

Their times are slow. Even fishing and floating Bonnie Brea to Tionesta is a day. Figure the river runs 3mph. That is 6 hours float time max w/o paddling.

I want to come out to the middle of the state and make a Mifflintown to the bay trip at some point.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

I want to come out to the middle of the state and make a Mifflintown to the bay trip at some point. [/quote]

Right after graduating from Penn Tech 2 years ago my son and a friend of his put in at Williamsport and set sail toward Harrisburg. After 2 days of heavy rain I got the call to come and pick them up. He may try it again someday, but now he's into kayaking fast water and over water falls so the sussy may be a little to slow for him.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 04:18 PM

MH, you might give the Clarion river a try. they have trips of different lengths. fishing and camping down the river all the way to where it empties into the Allegheny river.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

What kind of rapids are on the Clarion?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 04:41 PM

MH, the Clarion is not known for rapids. if you are looking for a trip to float and fish, its a good river. didn't know that you wanted rapids included. there are places you can canoe or kayak downstream and stop and camp overnight. good weekend trip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page