Did my first hiking/overnighter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Did my first hiking/overnighter

So after doing my first 3 day 2 nighter I've learned a couple of things. After doing 5 miles the first day, 15 miles the second day, and 5 more on the last day, I learned that a good pair of boots are worth their weight in gold. I thought I had a good pair, but was wrong. We did the AT and it was pretty. Finally the old saying "ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain" is really true. All in all a great experience though I will definitely be doing it again. Although the canoe camping trip seem like they would be right up my ally, may be giving one ago this summer.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Did my first hiking/overnighter

Cool! What section did you do?
Your boots weren't new were they?

Post some pictures if you got some.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

No pictures sorry. We went from 419 to 72. No they weren't new boots, they are very comfy just didn't have an impact plate on the bottom so I felt every rock.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 02:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

There are a lot of rock in that section.

Enjoy life and take a hike on the AT.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

yuppers and def felt most of them

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer
yuppers and def felt most of them

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Part of the Community

i just completed my first trip this past weekend, and i couldn't agree more with having proper footwear. I have Asolo Fugitive's that were recommended to me by a good friend in the Marines that completed a few tours with them. A bit heavy, but saved my ankles on more than a few occasions, and kept my feet dry; more that i can say about the footwear of my buddies i camped with.

We did a 12 mile section of the Loyalsock Trail from the end of the trail at 220 to Worlds End. The final descend into the part was all that we could handle and my boots made all the difference.

Just another hobby i love, my wife tells me it better me last!

Karge Road Coyote Camp for Life
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 05:39 PM

Foot problems have always plagued me. Buying cheap (2 pair of Cabela's boots) doesn't help. I recently bought a pair of Lowa boots, and have done some short (3 mile/ 45 lb pack) hikes, and they feel good. And there are so many nicer trails than the AT.

The Elk Trail, Elk County, last Sept.

The spirit of our day is a soft acceptance of everything—except deep conviction in anything.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have Asolo boots. I did the AT Rt 72 to the river between Christmas and New Years last year, plus many additional miles on other hikes. I really like them. I bought one size bigger then what I normally wear. If needed I wear gaiters and the boots and they keep my feet dry. My pack for winter can weigh about 40lbs. I carry an Osprey backpack.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildatheart
And there are so many nicer trails than the AT.
That is very true.

Years ago some buddies and I did a 3 day hike on the AT, going up on Peters Mountain from the parking area in Clarks Creek valley, and going east.

It's a "rock garden" and the views were nothing great. I'd never have any interest in hiking there again.

Since then I've done loads of hiking, mostly in the Big Woods of NCPA, mostly in search of wild trout in the small streams.

Most of the trails I've hiked in PA are NOT pure rock like that. Most of the time you are walking on soil, with some rocks here and there.

A lot of the trails in NC PA alternate between the stream valleys, then head back up the hillslopes, then fall along on top of the plateau, then back down to a stream valley, etc. so you have a lot of variety of landscape. That's much more enjoyable than just going along a rocky ridge where every step is on an irregular rock.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page