Backpacking/Trout Fishing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Backpacking/Trout Fishing

My son has recently crossed over to Boy Scouts. He has been bitten by the camping bug and wants the two of us to go backpacking together this summer. We have all the equipment, I backpack camp and we regularly hike. Can anyone recommend an area in western Pennsylvania preferably that I can take my son backpack camping and that we might do a little trout fishing on the way. I'm thinking of a Fri, Sat, Sun type adventure. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you gentleman.

Molon Labe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:02 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Backpacking/Trout Fishing

Two suggestions to check out, but these are larger streams and trout fishing will be restricted to localized sections having cooler or highly oxygenated water during the warmer summer weather. However, there is decent smallmouth bass fishing starting in June and some tributaries may hold brook trout.

(1) Ray Gerard Hiking Trail in Oil Creek State Park. With a young man, this would be my first choice. Has some shelters and backpack tenting areas available along the route. Crosses Oil Creek (a stocked trout stream) in several spots and passes by some interesting circa 1865 Oil Field relics including old cemeteries, pump equipment and the route of the Van Syckel pipeline, supposedly the first oil pipeline in the world. Can get more info at the Park Office and be aware some stream sections are flies / artificial lures only.

(2) The Kelletville / Nebraska Trace Trail. More remote than the Ray Gerard Trail. Follows Tionesta Creek for about the last 12 miles before it empties into the reservoir. Also crosses a few stocked and native brook trout streams. This stretch was at one time part of the Rails-to-Trails, but not sure if it is still maintained? May be rough and I believe there could be camping restrictions right along the creek - since I once heard the Corp. of Engineers for Tionesta Dam has control of property adjoining the water. However, the Allegheny National Forest (ANF) abuts this and you may be permitted to camp if hiking back off the stream a ways. Believe the Corp. of Engineers Office at Tionesta Dam can give more info. The upper stretch of Tionesta Creek is even nicer and has the Minister Run Campground. Minister Run is a brook trout enhancement stream and last I heard the trout cannot be kept, but the Tionesta is within walking distance. Also lots of hiking nearby, but I'm not real familiar with backpacking opportunities in this area.

If you want something a little more rugged, look at the Hickory Creek Wilderness Area which contains East Hickory Creek and a few tributaries that often hold some trout in the summer months.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

thank you very much, I will look into these

Molon Labe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Check out this link. http://www.fishandboat.com/wild98.htm
Most of these wilderness streams are in the boonies on DCNR land. All you need to do is call DCNR and get a camping/backpacking permit to camp in the area. I've done this many times and I've only had one time where someone came upon my camp. Usually these streams are undisturbed the farher back that you pack in.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowbenderpa01
Also lots of hiking nearby, but I'm not real familiar with backpacking opportunities in this area.
I see people camping right along Tionesta Creek from Minister Creek upstream. Don't really know about from there down. You can access the North Country Trail at the Henry's Mills bridge. An added bonus if you're going in the summer is that if you aren't catching the trout, there is also pretty decent smallmouth fishing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page