WARF or frankenbow? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

WARF or frankenbow?

I have never seen any mention of either of these on here, admittedly I just pass thru so to speak so I may have missed the discussion. I am building a frankenbow recurve and looking hard at a WARF set up for ILF limbs, has anyone else done similar? My frankenbow will have an old set of cobra pin sights on it to start, basically it will be a riser from a Bear Hunter circa 1983, my first bow, with 50lb Samick limbs on it. I am not sure of the string length yet but I ordered a 60" string to start playing with it based on what another guy I talked to said he used on the exact build he did. I'm hoping to have a shootable first run by christmas but strictly on targets until I get a handle on it.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 02:56 PM

The General rule of thumb with recurves in regard to string length is 4 inches shorter than bow length. I’m not sure what the riser length is of your bear hunter, but a 60” string will probably be close.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

That is what I understand Johnnyb, I figure this will take a little messing round but everything I have read says these bows are very nice shooting rigs once dialed in because the riser is metal and dampens the shot very quickly, it's a way for me to set something up to shoot fairly cheap, my old compound was just collecting dust.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 10:28 AM

Let me know how it works out regular joe, I have an old Hoyt raider ive considered converting as a gift to my brother. He never got into archery hunting but has expressed interest the last couple years, he was considering a Used Hoyt satori, no interest in Xbow or compound. I have no experience with ilf limbs but it would probably make a great starter bow for him for a lot cheaper than a Hoyt.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Johnnyb I have an old Hoyt Raider here that I think I will do next for one of my sons. I may build another wild rig out an old whitetail hunter for them too, not sure yet.

I got my limbs on and mounted up today, I have 62" from limb tip to limb tip, about 61 1/2 I guess I'd say in the grooves, maybe 61 even, I can't quite hold both ends and read tape that well. I was thinking a 58" string to start out, does that sound right??

Last edited by RegularJoe; 01-14-2020 at 01:06 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Update: I have piddled around with this over Christmas, the limbs were not a plug and play so I have some tinkering to keep them true, they can pivot int he pockets as they are now, which I am shimming with some temporary shims I want to glue in place. I may go full ILF WARF pockets and just hand this to my son with some low poundage limbs for now. Not sure. The 60 inch string seems long, a couple twists may help, haven't tried yet just fitting stuff up. I will do some more once school starts and kids go back on the bus, been interesting.

Does no one on here own a WARFed bow? Seems odd to me that no one responded about that is all. Thanks.

Last edited by RegularJoe; 01-14-2020 at 01:05 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 10:57 PM
Part of the Community

I have had all my compound risers converted to ILF by a guy out in California. Some were with plates installed but most were machined right into the limb pad itself. Martin Lynx, Bear Blackbear, Bear Kodiak Special, etc.

In order for a riser to be used for ILF limbs you want the limb pads to be a certain angle.

I have no experience with the Frakenbows.

Good luck with your modifications, a lot of guys use popsicle sticks along the sides to keep them true on the Frakenbows.

Good Shooting->->->->Craig
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Craig I am using popsicle sticks too, almost perfect width for what I need.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Popsicle sticks are glued in place I set the tiller dead even, squared up a nock point and the first shots have been fired. I think it is pretty smooth and easy to shoot, got some silencers coming so I will add those and see, it does have some string noise without them. I still have the old rest on the riser, not a bear weather rest as was original but I think it is an old Hoyt rest very similar to the bear. The shelf is not flat on this, and I don't know if that is possible to set up to shoot off of or not, likely not.

I only missed the block completely at 20 yards once, it seems like some better arrows and some tuning would help, lots of practice too I am sure. I have to figure out how to check the draw weight and see where it comes out, do some research on the correct arrows for this. I plan to shoot a heavy arrow and limit my shooting to 20 yards so I want to set up like that for practice too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page