New to traditional - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wstrouse

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

New to traditional

So last summer I purchased some traditional gear and wanted to start shooting and eventually hunt. I really don't know anything about it. Specifically though I was looking for some pointers on the gear itself.

On the bow there is a little plastic arrow rest. It is pretty flimsy, is this the standard rest? (I'll add pics later) It is just a peiece of plastic that sticks out. Can it be replaced? The other question is about the string. It is pretty worn, do I just order a new one or do I need to go to a shop to get one? Then do you leave the string on or take it off every time. The guy I bought it off of said take the string off when you are done shooting.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:06 PM
The Man

Backwoods,

It would help to know the make/model of the bow but here goes:

The rest sounds like one of several common rests including the Bear Weatherest and Dura Flip rests. It is an "elevated" style rest and is more than likely affixed with pressure tape and can be easily replaced. There are also numerous other elevated style rests to choose from. If you are serious about true traditional shooting you may want to consider shooting "off the shelf" and replacing the current rest with a rug or feather rest and an arrow plate.

You should replace the string if it appears worn. All you need to know is the AMO length of your bow, which will be written on the grip section of the bow along with the draw weight/length. It will more than likely be 56", 58", 60", 62", etc. Simply order a string for the correct bow length. The only other consideration is if it's a fairly late model bow, you'll need to know if it's "fast flight compatible" if you want to go with a fast flight string. Bows that use fast flight strings have reinforced limb tips.

If you shoot the bow regularly, it's not necessary to un-string the bow, but if left inactive it should be un-strung.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:46 AM
Frequent Contributor

I've got the book Shooting The Stick Bow by Anthony Camera I found useful. I'll give it to you for the cost of shipping if your interested. PM me if you are.
loridr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:29 AM
Regular Visitor

Get rid of the elevated rest, one day it will fall off...when you expect it least & need it most. Happend to my buddy last week at the Baltimore Bowmen Traditional shoot. Replace it with a rug rest. The simpler the better. When it comes to strings, be sure you know what kind of string you can use on your bow. When you've confirmed the kind of string you can use & the proper length, order two of them, & set them both up with silencers & nocks at the proper nocking point. Keep one as a replacement, & have it with you just in case. As with the rest, you'll need a new string when you expect it least & need it most. Strings stretch, check your bace height before & after shooting, and twist string up to get the proper brace height if necessary.

Last edited by PAtradarcher; 05-26-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page