Bowhunting for Carp - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:36 AM
Part of the Community

Here in the williamsport area we would punch a hole large enough to run a cord on a wire through the two holes (NO LITTERING our waterways)in a can o' Green Giant canned corn, and throw the contents of a couple more out in the water and have morning coffee whilst waitin' for 'em to show up. We'd take the results back to my place and I'd run 'em through the compost shredder and feed the gardens with 'em. In those days we didn't know anybody with a flat bottom boat, so we'd make a platform for between two of our canoes. Worked fairly well. Also went fairly wrong moron a couple times We'll be introducing our 10 year old grandson to bowfishing this summer, most likely for blue cats. For some reason he doesn't like killing something he won't eat. He won't eat carp. He tried 'em, but says he'll stick with bluegills and perch
Waynzee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

"He tried 'em, but says he'll stick with bluegills and perch" - Now, there's a lad with good taste.
Waynzee likes this.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynzee View Post
We live up close to Lake Wallenpaupack and back up by Ledgedale the carp come in close to shore so hunting from a boat or along the bank a fella can get some good shots. Yeah, I think I'll give it try soon the ice goes out and it warms up some.
Wait til they spawn, they will swim right up to the bank and flop around on the edge.
tdd and Waynzee like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:02 PM
dce

Third week of May
Waynzee likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:06 PM
Part of the Community

this all makes me smile a lot. With regard to my grandson, ya'll should see him filet fish with a blue glass knife I knapped for him. That makes me smile also As of late I also donate some of those carp to the eagles seem have taken up permanent residence here close by. Keeps from catching some of trout and one of co-instructors for the seminars we do has gotten quite good at spearing carp from his canoe,while standing up in it. Hand made primitive cordage wrist lanyard, handmade primitive fish point. Lotta fun to watch from my kayak. Those we chop up, put in a big zip-lock bag in the sun all day, and catch catfish all night with some downright stinky carp chunks Life is very very Good!
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Part of the Community

FWIW, when you can get them legally!! Sturgeon scales make superb arrow points
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:10 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Yep, my dad and I used to shoot them in Lake Ontelaunee near Reading. Memorial Day time frame, into june depending on weather, is when they spawn. They'll find the mucky/weedy shallows and come up at the surface in great numbers. It's something to see.

After a morning of shooting carp, we'd wind up covered in mud, carp slime, carp blood, and carp eggs. We'd have to hose off to get in the house to shower...ha!

We did get permission to hunt a few Amish/Mennonite farms by giving them a literal pile of carp. More than once I was dragging back a rope full of carp that weighed more than some deer I've shot.

I used a 35# recurve. You can stick it in the mud when dealing with a fish, then shake off the mud and go back to shooting. High poundage is counterproductive...you don't want the arrow to pass through completely, just get the fish head out the back side of the fish. A full passthrough is a real pain to undo.

I would like to someday go bowfishing for rays down at Chincoteague. That sounds fun, and the rays have to be better to eat than carp!
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Part of the Community

Go check out my website, some here have,other threads. Lost Arts Trade Company not presently active, but it's still up
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:19 PM
Part of the Community

TDD, ya snuck a post in twixt mine. I love your post! Sharing IS the gate to unlimited outdoor opportunity!!!The Amish Lads what built our present home were invited on a late season deer hunt with us. One of our guys shot a very larger mature buck on some of the steepest terrain in northern PA. Ever see six young Amish men haul a 200 lb animal straight up 600 ft w/o stopping? Laughing all the way. You get back to me in the next month, I'll get to work seeing if I can't hook you up with a guy I know would happily take you on yer stingray hunt
ed
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:20 PM
Part of the Community

and they do taste like scallops if you do'em up right

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page