And another one. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C
And another one.

IT'S BECOMING increasingly clear how much of a toll that natural gas extraction from the state's Marcellus Shale formation is taking on the environment and potentially on human health.
It's also increasingly clear why it's taking so long for state lawmakers to return the favor, and impose a tax on drillers.
A new report from the Pennsylvania Land Trust Association found that Marcellus Shale drillers in the state have piled up 1,435 violations in the last 2 1/2 years . The great majority - 66 percent - have the potential for direct impact on the environment. (That's not surprising, given that the process of drilling for gas involves fracturing, or "fracking", where fluids are injected at high pressure into rock to blast it open and increase the flow of gas.)
One of the highest number of violations was in the discharge of industrial waste. The report pointed out that the chemicals used in fracking can harm skin, eyes, the respiratory and gastrointestinal systems, and many can affect the brain and nervous systems.
These dangers require regulation and oversight, and demand that the industry help cover the costs of such oversight, as well as remediation. But for lawmakers, rushing to welcome the industry's foray into the state has been more important than making sure the right controls are in place, or that there is enough money to pay for those controls. Another recent report clarifies why.
That report, "Deep Drilling., Deep Pockets" released by Common Cause, found that since 2007, drillers spent over $4 million lobbying state legislators and the Rendell administration. It has donated nearly $3 million to candidates in Pennsylvania since 2001.
Last year, a tax on extraction was abandoned; this year, a tax will be imposed, the amount to be determined by Oct. 1.
Cynics might conclude that the long deadline will allow lawmakers to shake down as many drillers as possible for campaign contributions - and the level of those contributions will have some relation to the ultimate tax rate.

That's bad enough, but it gets worse: We won't know the amounts of many of those contributions. According to an "It's Our Money" report (Page 15), because laws governing campaign disclosure are tied to the election calendar, not the legislative calendar, there will be a 18-day window where drillers will be able to pour money into campaign coffers of state lawmakers, but disclosure of those contributions won't be required until after the vote on the tax.
Voluntary disclosures are not prohibited, and Common Cause has agreed to post all such voluntary reports of campaign contributions on its site (see accompanying story for details.) We urge lawmakers to comply. This would be a first step in restoring some trust in state government; unlike natural gas, that trust is one of the scarcer resources in Pennsylvania.
The Security and Exchange Commission imposes a "quiet period" following an initial public offering that prohibits the issuer from public comments on the offering. We need a quiet period in the law-making process that prohibits contributions from industries or companies while legislation is being crafted that impacts those industries.
The drilling for natural gas can provide a real boon to the state's economy, but it's not without serious and long-term risks. Proceeds from an extraction tax can help balance those risks.
Some lawmakers fear that a tax may slow the growth of gas drilling. But that probably wouldn't be such a bad thing for the environment, or the people who live here.

Philadelphia Daily News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Sage

Re: And another one.

I kinda figured Philadelphia would be interested in a severance tax.... JUst for the environment mind ya They are real big on the environment in Philadelphia ya know....

wmu 3A
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

So, I guess in your quest to justify maximizing your own profits you missed the point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Sage

no I believe Philadelphia missed the point... In its zeal to maximize their profiteering from endeavors that have no effect on them.

I do not oppose a tax on the gas I oppose how it is divied up! Because the politicians want to buy votes in metropolitan areas!

wmu 3A
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Sage

Philly and Pittsburgh never lack in getting "their share" of any tax monies raised, generally at the expense of the rural areas of the state.

Now I see Rendell wants huge increases in PADOT licensing fees:

$4 increase in driver's license fee; $13 increse for learner's permits; Car registration from $36 to $49; Inspection sticker from $2 to $5.

Guess where most of that increase will be directed? The official excuse is raising more funds for highway and bridge repairs. Wonder how much will be spent subsidizing mass transit in those two cities?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

The most important point in my opinion was the following:
Quote:
Last year, a tax on extraction was abandoned; this year, a tax will be imposed, the amount to be determined by Oct. 1.
Cynics might conclude that the long deadline will allow lawmakers to shake down as many drillers as possible for campaign contributions - and the level of those contributions will have some relation to the ultimate tax rate.
While this above is true, it is sad that our legiscritters value their own personal bottom line more than they do our environment.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
While this above is true, it is sad that our legiscritters value their own personal bottom line more than they do our environment.
Nothin' new to see here...move along.

Show me a politician who has been in office for many years and I'll show ya one who has always looked out for him/herself first. The "best" ones have become pretty well-versed in convincing their constituents, that the opposite is true.

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Sage

Some lawmakers fear that a tax may slow the growth of gas drilling. But that probably wouldn't be such a bad thing for the environment, or the people who live here.

wmu 3A
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Sage

I doubt the enactment of a severance tax will adversely impact Marcellus Shale drilling in PA. Some form of it already exists in other states that have considerable gas extraction operations.

Oil, gas and mineral companies will go where they can find and access what they're looking for. Right now, PA is the spot for gas extraction in the NE.

According to reports I've read, they will be extracting gas here for the next 15-20 years, perhaps even longer? Any severance taxes will become yet another cost of doing business, just like they are everywhere else.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Send a message via AIM to TributeArcher

Philly should worry about their crime rate... not was going on in the sane part of the state.... As i covered earlier... about 1 month back.... CHECK YOUR FACTS before using your scare tactics to worry ignorant ppl. I bet 100 bucks that the person that wrote that article about has never stepped foot on a well pad....so...
AS STATED BEFORE-

http://www.energyindepth.org/frac-fluid.pdf

I thought we covered this? Every well is not going to be exactly the same.... if you have a well that has a 5800 foot horizonal leg on it. vs. one with a 2250ft leg on it... they are not going to use the same amounts of chemicals.....they will not disclose every stinking well that the drill.

I do believe tho... that this will take the wind out of every landowners/complainants sails... this will finally prove that 99.9 percent of the time... frac's do NOT impact GW unless it is cased off incorrectly.

"In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals."
-Charles Darwin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page