Exxon Dumps 50,000 gallons of waste water in PA - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Exxon Dumps 50,000 gallons of waste water in PA

Exxon charged with illegally dumping fracking waste in Pennsylvania

By Will Kennedy, September 11, 2013. Source: Bloomberg

Exxon Mobil Corp. (XOM), the world’s largest energy company, was charged with illegally dumping more than 50,000 gallons (189,000 liters) of wastewater at a shale-gas drilling site in Pennsylvania.

Exxon unit XTO Energy Inc. discharged the water from waste tanks at the Marquandt well site in Lycoming County in 2010, according to a statement on the website of Pennsylvania’s attorney general. The pollution was found during an unannounced visit by the state’s Department of Environmental Protection.

The inspectors discovered a plug removed from a tank, allowing the wastewater to run onto the ground, polluting a nearby stream. XTO was ordered to remove 3,000 tons of soil to clean up the area. Wastewater discharged from natural-gas wells can contain chlorides, barium, strontium and aluminum, the attorney general’s statement showed.

“Criminal charges are unwarranted and legally baseless,” the XTO unit said yesterday in astatement posted on its website. “There was no intentional, reckless or negligent misconduct by XTO.”

Pennsylvania has become one of the biggest gas-producing states in the past five years as explorers drill the Marcellus shale, a rock formation stretching across the northeast U.S. that holds 24 percent of the nation’s shale gas reserves, according to the Energy Information Administration. Exxon agreed to buy XTO in 2009 for $34.9 billion.

XTO was charged with five counts of unlawful conduct under the Clean Streams Law and three counts under the Solid Waste Management Act.
Legal Risks

“Charging XTO under these circumstances could discourage good environmental practices,” the company said in its statement. “This action tells oil and gas operators that setting up infrastructure to recycle produced water exposes them to the risk of significant legal and financial penalties should a small release occur.”

The company said it “acted quickly” to clean up the spill and there was “no lasting environmental impact,” according to the statement.

XTO said it agreed to pay “reasonable civil penalties” in a July 18, 2013 settlement with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Department of Justice. It also agreed to recycle at least half its drilling wastewater, according to the agreement.

Eh...wot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Sage

Re: Exxon Dumps 50,000 gallons of waste water in PA

<span style="font-weight: bold">“Charging XTO under these circumstances could discourage good environmental practices,” </span>

I see, making companies comply with the law and punishing them when they don't, will force them to ignore the law more in the future! Wow

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I believe our anti gas drilling Attorney General is trying to pursue criminal charges in this incident, above and beyond the civil penalties imposed. She campaigned as being in favor of a moratorium on drilling in Pa. She has also taken upon herself the responsibility of determining which laws she will enforce, and what is constitutional or not in the Commonwealth.

RLTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 12:19 AM
Sage

There have been numerous incidents of intentional vandalism on drilling sites via spills, that were not the fault of drillers or contractors.

Often disgruntled employees or former employees, but others have been the culprits.

Remember the father and son that opened oil storage tank valves last year, because they were mad at their employer?

Wouldn't put it past some of the more whacko eco extremists, like the dingbats running around a few years ago torching new cars at dealerships?

I'm content to wait for the outcome of the investigation before lumping all drillers into the same "guilty" category, whenever a spill occurs.

As for our current AG, ain't much I've agreed with her on yet. But if the driller is found guilty, so be it.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 12:20 AM
The Man

Not condoning what they did, nor their negligence, or lack of proper safety measures to assure these things don't happen......but their is a big difference between negligence of a employee forgetting a plug in a tank........and criminal intent.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Sage

I've never forgotten to install a plug in anything.

Unless I count the time I topped off the hydraulic cylinder on a single axle dump, lowered the bed and noticed fluid all over the place?

Wasn't my fault. If my boss would've let me take the time to replace the pump seal, I wouldn't have been refilling the cylinder every coupla weeks. Lucky we didn't have a DEP man every half mile back in them days?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 12:45 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Agree with you there, buzz. I think our current AG has designs on even higher office, and these "criminal" charges are politically based.

RLTW
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 01:06 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMountain
I believe our anti gas drilling Attorney General is trying to pursue criminal charges in this incident, above and beyond the civil penalties imposed. She campaigned as being in favor of a moratorium on drilling in Pa. She has also taken upon herself the responsibility of determining which laws she will enforce, and what is constitutional or not in the Commonwealth.
X2

All I Can Tell You Is What I Told You
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Sage

<span style="font-style: italic">In a move that shocked the oil and gas industry, the state of Pennsylvania is bringing criminal charges against an ExxonMobil subsidiary for a 2010 wastewater spill.

Environmentalists are jumping for joy. “We have been very concerned about enforcement in the Marcellus, and we welcome the attorney general’s taking an active role,” said Myron Arnowitt, Pennsylvania director of Clean Water Action.

Pennsylvania Attorney General Kathleen Kane announced charges against ExxonMobil subsidiary XTO Energy for “discharging more than 50,000 gallons of toxic wastewater from storage tanks at a gas-well site in Lycoming County,” reports the Philadelphia Inquirer

</span>

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/14/penn-b.../#ixzz2erdUGjQY

wmu 3A
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This is much more about politics than it is about justice or environmental controls.
AGs are the last people who should be determining which laws are enforced.
She has an agenda, probably consistent with those who elected her to office.

I miss my hunting partner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page