http://www.truthlandmovie.com/watch-movie/

Honesty is my only excuse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:28 PM
g17
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Here you go gasland fans...

I've actually seen that industry funded infomercial. I found it laughable that anyone would buy the setup.

"An excerpt from Truthland shows Shelly examining a well casing on-site with a former Pennsylvania DEP employee, who describes its safety features: “Multiple layers of protection … You can see nothing’s going to get in or out of this pipe.” Yet this is exactly what occurred. WPX’s improperly cased wells on the Depue property are now being cited in a lawsuit brought by the neighbors affected, who are currently receiving drinking water from the gas drillers. It’s not known whether the Depues’ water has been harmed by the casing leaks."

http://blog.littlesis.org/2012/06/13/fra...ical-ad-agency/
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 07:00 PM
The Man

I enjoyed the part about Dimock.......

Didn't care for the format they used, but they did show that the majority of what was in Gasland was far from the truth.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 11:05 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17
I've actually seen that industry funded infomercial.
You mean kinda like gasland was from the Anti side.......The antis were pretty proud of that film and it's false information.
They were pretty eager to take their dog a pony show to Dimock last year also........but don't seem to eager to be around there after the EPA released there final results...........

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The website was created by Cheesapeake... Surprise , surprise...

Plus at the end they didn't state that the lovely glass of water was filtered......not direct from the well.

Bradford County WMU3C
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

So what's everyone's take on this article?? Are to jobs there or only for the Texas boys and "legal" workers...

http://canon-mcmillan.patch.com/arti...for-pa-workers

Bradford County WMU3C
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 04:29 PM
The Man

Not sure what these guys are up too but i am directly influenced by the marcellus shale industry. At my current position we took on 8 new projects directly influenced by the industry. I am working 50 hr + workweeks to get it all done. A nice boost in pay with OT and a well needed lift for my company.

I do hate to see companies hiring out of state workers and such though.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:28 PM
g17
Hooked on HuntingPa

While I'm sure there are a few jobs in the industry available for locals, It appears in my part of Pa that the vast majority of these jobs are being performed by out of state workers. Additionally, it appears that some of the non-industry jobs in the area are being performed by the families of these out of state workers. I don't recall so many restaurant workers and clerks in the local stores having Texas accents in years past.

I'm sure the industry will help local business efforts, however conventional wisdom and history shows this is a boom and bust economic cycle. What happens down the road when the drilling is done and all the businesses that expanded to meet the needs of the industry find themselves unable to support themselves?

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Sage

if anyone is interested in numbers...

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...ry-2012-7?op=1

wmu 3A
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Sage

I can (and have) only comment on what I see and know, firsthand about what gas explorations has done in the area where my camp is in 3A.

Some farmers have gotten windfalls in lease monies, royalties to follow if/when they get around to actually distributing the gas. Much still needs to be in the pipeline phases of the exploration.

Miniumum disturbances and adverse impacts to date, although there have been problems elsewhere in PA. Those companies operating in "my" area, have been very receptive to local inputs, both from residents and our twp. officials.

Noticeable employment of locals, whether they be contractors, welders, equipment owners or dump truck owners. Several local lads have been off working in the gas industry in the past three years, that I know of. One was back on the farm for a few months, is gone again to the gas industry.

Things have pretty much quieted down drilling-wise at the moment where camp is, but they'll be back again.

One relative that expanded his excavation business from four employees to around a dozen or more, when the drilling started, is now doing most of his work for the local pipeline company (Dominion), rather than with the drillers.

That pipeline company has been around them parts since I was a little feller. Through several different names over the years, but it's been there since the original gas exploration going back to the 30s, 40s and 50s. They're expanding their existing pipeline networks to accomodate the new drilling.

As for Texas accents at restuarants, if local people wanted those jobs when they became available, they'd have taken them? That's something that's always intrigued me about folks from out of the area taking jobs, that locals could've had? And it isn't a recent phenomena, either.

30-some years ago a couple relocated to Westfield, from an area not far from NYC. They took jobs as custodians at the local high school and retired a few years ago. They applied for the jobs, has some experience and were hired.

My understanding is that few locals applied and those that did, didn't get past the interview process.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page