EPA done with Dimock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

EPA done with Dimock

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency will end water deliveries to four homes in Dimock Twp. after a repeat round of sampling found that elevated manganese in one water well could be treated to levels that do not present a health concern.

The announcement Wednesday ends the agency's sampling effort in the Susquehanna County township where past tests raised concerns that nearby Marcellus Shale drilling may have contaminated water supplies and created a health risk. The EPA's tests found no contamination "that would give EPA reason to take further action," EPA Regional Administrator Shawn M. Garvin said in a statement.

"Our goal was to provide the Dimock community with complete and reliable information about the presence of contaminants in their drinking water and to determine whether further action was warranted to protect public health."

The EPA said its testing of wells serving 64 homes between January and June found the hazardous substances arsenic, barium or manganese in well water at five homes at levels that could present a health concern. But the agency said that in each of those cases the residents currently have or will have a treatment system that can treat the contaminants to acceptable levels at the tap. It also noted that those contaminants, which it has said can be associated with natural gas drilling, "are also naturally occurring substances."

The EPA said it is working with residents at the four homes where it has been delivering replacement water on a schedule to disconnect the alternate water supplies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 11:29 PM
The Man

Re: EPA done with Dimock

So G-17..........Tell us your version of these results

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Sage

Whats the EPA know?

On with the lawsuits!!!!!

Thanks for the update.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 AM
g17
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz
So G-17..........Tell us your version of these results
"But the agency said that in each of those cases the residents currently have or will have a treatment system that can treat the CONTAMINANTS to acceptable levels at the tap"

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that stuff has been found in the water, this happened how many years ago?

I actually have not read the most recent test data yet, but if it follows prior results, I'd have to say when you have non-naturally occurring compounds with no established safety limits, It would seem foolish to claim it is safe (but that is probably why the EPA hasn't said safe but uses does not exceed safety limits - as there are none...)

Also, I have a copy of a letter from Dawn Loven, Toxicologist to Rich Fetzer, OSC Eastern Response Branch which deals with Chromium levels being detected at twice the safety limit - after filtration, which poses an excess cancer risk. That however is if it is the Hexavalent form of Chromium and not the Trivalent form. The letter does state that it is not known which form of chromium they are dealing with. This is a sample taken on May, 24th 2012 from HW04. HW04 is one of the houses that the EPA has said they are working on a schedule to disconnect the alternative water supply.

Sorry, but that just doesn't sound safe to me.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 12:57 AM
The Man

<span style="font-weight: bold">It also noted that those contaminants, which it has said can be associated with natural gas drilling, "are also naturally occurring substances."</span>

Question is...and has been...is this related to gas drilling or fracing......not if it's safe to drink water......

And after repeated testing by state and federal agencys.....the answer is no, it is not proven to be related........if it were....the EPA and DEP would not be walking away.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 AM
g17
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have not seen the EPA say either way who's fault it is. I have seen Cabot settle with the DEP for 4.1 million, however...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

This should finally put the issue to rest. Dimock is the poster child of the anti drilling crowd.
Not holding my breath though.
Wonder how the antidrilling crowd protesting in DC this weekend is going to deal with this news?

WMU 2B
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 09:45 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17
I have not seen the EPA say either way who's fault it is. I have seen Cabot settle with the DEP for 4.1 million, however...
You know full well if the EPA thought, or could prove it was the fault of gas drilling or fracing.....it would have been brought out in their report. Bottom line is this proves what most have been saying all along. This also crushes the antis claims......and yours!

Now the people who were going for glory and lawsuits, can put their own water treatment in, like they should have done years ago.....before gas drilling ever showed up......

A few months ago, Denny ask us to wait until the EPA had their final resuts before we debated this further..........well...the EPA has spoken....just like the DEP...........

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 07:44 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the DEP never had much of a case in Dimock, but the "you must do something" mentality in the news media and with the attornys at DEP drives these settlements, and Cabot, instead of fighting it reaches the point that it is cheaper to settle than to continue with the defense of their Notice of Violation for something that was going on since the water wells were drilled in Dimock, and even before!
My opinion when asked was that the companies SHOULD NOT settle this way for all it does is feed the anti's agenda and drives the regulatory agencies to continue bringing these cases when the only proof they have is circumstantial and weak.

WMU 2B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page