Pennsylvania natural gas interests spent $1.3 mill - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Pennsylvania natural gas interests spent $1.3 mill

Quote:
Five of Pennsylvania's largest natural gas drilling interests spent a staggering $1.3 million to lobby state government from January through March as lawmakers and the Corbett administration worked to approve a new impact fee on the industry.

Leading the pack was the Marcellus Shale Coalition, an industry trade group based in southwestern Pennsylvania. The group spent $978,766 during the first three months of the year trying to influence government, disclosure records show.
Pennsylvania natural gas interests spent $1.3 million on lobbying

Quote:
Pennsylvania's lobbyist disclosure law requires lobbyists and their principals the companies that hire them to file quarterly reports detailing how much they spend on gifts, travel and hospitality for public officials as well on what's known as "direct" and "indirect" communication with policymakers.
Hmmm...Might be a good source of info on other topics too.

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 12:32 AM
The Man

Re: Pennsylvania natural gas interests spent $1.3 mill

State still got their impact fee. Not saying I am a fan of lobbying, but in this case, it doesnt appear to have changed the fact the state got the impact fee.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Sage

I think the severence tax would have been much more lucrative for the state.....They didn't pay 1.3 mill for nuttin.

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 01:02 AM
Sage

Yes with $2.00 gas it's very important for the State to rob as much as they possibly can...

The fundamental difference.

wmu 3A
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Considering it costs a staggering $5 million to drill just <span style="font-weight: bold">one well</span>, I don't see where it's a problem to spend a couple hundred thousand to try to make sure the rules and regs are right.
Remember, that's $5,000,000! and that doesn't include pipelines, etc.
We have to lobby the politicians or else the new laws and regs would be dictated by The Parks Foundation, Marcellus protest, Josh Fox and others.

WMU 2B
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 PM
LDD
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trueamerican
Considering it costs a staggering $5 million to drill just one well, I don't see where it's a problem to spend a couple hundred thousand to try to make sure the rules and regs are right.
Remember, that's $5,000,000! and that doesn't include pipelines, etc.
We have to lobby the politicians or else the new laws and regs would be dictated by The Parks Foundation, Marcellus protest, Josh Fox and others.
yeah, call me crazy but I generally think that lobbying of any kind should be outlawed. I have this absurd notion that politicians' views and the laws they create should reflect the views of their constituency and be a benefit for the people of their state. Dumb, I know, I know...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

So, you want politicians writing and enacting laws without any knowledgeable insight or information. Correct? They should enact laws that affect your medical treatment without any input from the professionals? Same with exploration and drilling of wells.
There is a need for lobbying, it just needs to be upfront.

WMU 2B
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

And my number above of $5,000,000 might be a touch high...closer to $3,000,000 per well.

Sorry

WMU 2B
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 01:23 PM
g17
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trueamerican
So, you want politicians writing and enacting laws without any knowledgeable insight or information. Correct?
Pennsylvania Lobbying Disclosure Act:
LOBBYING: An effort to influence legislative action or administrative action in this Commonwealth. The term includes: (1) direct or indirect communication; (2) office expenses; and (3) providing any gift, hospitality, transportation or lodging to a State official or employee for the purpose of advancing the interest of the lobbyist or principal.

The first exception to a lobbyist would be (1) An individual who limits lobbying to preparing testimony and testifying before a committee of the General Assembly.

In short lobbying is far from providing information and more about providing cash, gifts, etc to advance the agenda that is being lobbied for, as a person who merely provides information is exempt from being classified as a lobbyist.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Sage

Anyone who receives <span style="font-weight: bold">compensation</span> in the manner of salary/benefits, for lobbying (representing the interests on Capitol Hill, of any commercial or other entity), is required to register as a lobbyist under PA statute.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page