So long GL 36 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

So long GL 36

http://thedailyreview.com/news/pennsylva...anies-1.1316351

A womans bousm is the hardest rock the all mighty ever created......and I can find no sighn on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 PM

Re: So long GL 36

Feaser can spin it any way he wants but your Gamelands will be changed forever. The road building and widening will be the worst part. Constant activity and noise will be the norm. If you have a camp nearby and have to travel to get to it you will start to question what the benefit is anymore. Yes, the pipelines will function as long and narrow foodplots but they will also attract constant ATV activity. Hopefully, the gas money will allow the PGC to keep purchasing Gamelands and to keep performing habitat work.

This is who we are. This is what we do.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Yes i agree. And unfortunatly it will be forever changed. And im afraid it will never be the same. Its just another sighn of the times that i hate to see happen. And for at least the next few years at least it will be very hard to hunt i belive.

A womans bousm is the hardest rock the all mighty ever created......and I can find no sighn on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I wouldn't immediately jump to the idea that SGL 36 is going to become some sort of industrial hot zone and will be of no value to hunt. Lets review the facts.

SGL 36 is about 19,000 acres total. Of that, the PGC owns roughly 70% of the oil and gas rights. Currently this whole region is being developed all around the Game Lands, and SGL 36 is getting surrounded by activity. it makes good sense to take a measured approach to manage the impacts and take advantage.

The lease up for bid is for only about 3,177 acres. Which equals about 16% of the land area of the SGL.

For this lease, the operators will be limited to TWO (2) well pads only and locations pre-determined by the PGC. With an avarage well pad location being about 5 acres, that totals 10 acres+/- of surface disturbance. That's not even 0.1% of the land area affected. Yes there will be some temporary increase in activity during drilling and fracking, but that is also limited during hunting seasons by the lease terms. The locations will be near or adjacent to existing road infrastructure in order to minimize construction and habiatat disturbance, avoid wetlands and rocky areas, avoid critical habtats, and avoid conflicts with PGC surface habiatat management activities.

With the per acre bonus set at $2,000 per acre, the rental is expected to be a little over $6 million. It is a royalty bid, and the minimum acceptable royalty was set at 20%. The PGC policy is that much of the money from oil and gas development goes back into land acquizition escrows to replace surface habitat losses, and the intent is to acquire lands in the same Region and county as where the development happened.

It is possible that no bidders will come to the table with the given set of restrictions. The gas markets are volitile and things are changing every day. Just because a bid is offered doesn't necessarily mean that activity will definately occurr.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Sage

Well done Dave!

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Sage

+1

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Sage

+2

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:09 PM
dce
Sage

+3

SGL 331(previously called SGL 93)Has had loads of shallow well drilling over the past several years.The PGC doesn't own the gas rights but they've done a very good job nehotiating the amount of disturbance.All of the well pads were fertilized,seeded and made into small foodplots.I'd rather have woods and clearcuts but it is what it is.My only real gripe is that now there's alot of access roads that go into some remote parts.You still have to walk in but the pressure today is more in these remote areas.They took a potentially bad situation and made it into one that's at least bearable.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

+4

With Tom Corbett being the generous man that he is, projects like these are very important, when the PGC actually has the mineral rights, since they exercise large amounts of control and the money goes right back to the PGC. It's also important to diversify the sources of it's income.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

very good points and i smell what ur stepping in. Now that i see it from that point of view i am a +5 thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page