Gas-related banditry? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Gas-related banditry?

Several caught moving over-sized construction equipment on Rt. 414 in Bradford County:

http://www.stargazette.com/article/20100...size+violations

Wondered if it was related to any gas well work, or just some local boys moving their stuff sans permits, as has been known to happen on occasion?

Years ago a farmboy cousin transported a 14x70 mobile home from a few miles over the line in NY, to it's new location in Tioga County, PA. Pulled it down the road with his Farmall diesel, was momentarily trailed by a NY Trooper.

Mr. Trooper decided that since the offending "wide load" was almost into PA, that it was not his problem, told cuz to never bring it back to NY again without permits.

No problem there, it's been resting down behind his house ever since and occupied by assorted offspring and other kinfolks.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:45 PM
The Man

Re: Gas-related banditry?

the company, taw, is actually from oklahoma. they have rented a lot in wysox, and got a po box# there.

they build well pads and ponds for the gas companys.

the john deere tractor had a "pan" behind it, it was a 4wd, dual wheel, articulating tractor . the 2 trucks were off road dump trucks, such as you would see in a stone quarry or large gravel pit.

i have no idea what they were thinking, but i'm sure they will think diff next time. this happened about 10 miles from me. my trucks passed them earlier in the day, they had made it 10 or 15 miles before they were stopped. i was told they drove them right through the town of towanda, and there voyage started somewhere near camptown.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Figured as much, which is why I posted it for all to enjoy.

"Back in the day", I used to have a hard time even moving a rubber tired loader/hoe on the roads around here, without attracting too much attention from the local boys, so we finally got a registration plate for it.

Did once catch it for moving an IH/Drott loader down the road a bit. Told 'em they were gonna repave it later that year in the spring anyway, so why get all upset? My boss's response was to wait and see if the twp. needed us to bust open drifts with it again that winter, then remind 'em we ain't allowed on the road with 'er.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 06:12 PM
The Man

so then..........you've always been a outlaw

is kinda funny that it's ok for a farmer to drive the same tractor down the road, but a hefty fine for others.
been one going by my shop every 1/2 hour for the past few days, hauling one of those BIG manure spreaders.

if you keep watch of "the dailey review' towanda,pa. you will see that lately it's been a weekly thing for those types of fines to be handed out.

i did have to wonder about the driver who was ticketed for not having a valid CDL license.........do you need a license to drive a unregistered vehicle on the road? i know that you can drive farm equipment on the roads when you are under the age of 16? not sure how that works

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Sage

Just another benefit to the local economy!! Did ya see that two of the driver that were fined were local fellas. Rome & Wysox??

I would think if the driver was engaged in farming he wouldn't need a licesne, however since this was a commercial operation he would need a CDL depending upon the class of vehicle. Just a guess on my part tho...

wmu 3A
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:02 PM
The Man

yea, i saw that 2 were local.

heres somthing to ponder.

the DOT will write the ticket to the driver, they do have the option of writing the same ticket to the owner.
the reason they write the ticket to the driver is because if/when it goes to court. if they wrote only the owner, the owner could claim he did not tell the employee to drive that down the road, which then shifts the burdon to the employee. if the employee was not cited...case is tossed .

when it goes to court they have to prove "intent" or "willfull neglagance" (or some other big word) on the part of the owner, if they issue them a citation. it is obvious intent on the part of the driver so they know that will stick.

now the question

what if one of the out of state companys(or any company) doesn't pay the fine for the driver?
certainly would put a driver in a tough spot if he/she has to pay a $11,000 fine. especially if they were doing as instructed.

makes me think that employees need to be aware of the laws as well.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Sage

Generally I would write moving violations to the driver Equipment violations to the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
the DOT will write the ticket to the driver, they do have the option of writing the same ticket to the owner.
the reason they write the ticket to the driver is because if/when it goes to court. if they wrote only the owner, the owner could claim he did not tell the employee to drive that down the road, which then shifts the burdon to the employee. if the employee was not cited...case is tossed .
if the case is tossed and witin the Statute of limitations A citation could be then issued to the driver.

I suppose that BOTH driver and owner could be cited as well and let the courts decide.

I've been out the business too long to make an intelligent call; so take my response with a grain!!

wmu 3A
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberdoodle
Generally I would write moving violations to the driver Equipment violations to the company.
seems the fair way, unfortunatly theres always a "catch' to things theese days

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Part of the Community

I liked the one in the paper last week, covered bridge rd., burlington twp. Bradford Co. 1 truck and driver, some permit issues, also some tie down issues, and 41 TONS, yes you read that right, 41 TONS over weight. fine $25,000.00 driver taken to jail, truck impounded
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Why chase snowmobiles and four wheelers, those big rigs are easier to catch and the fines are a lot more.

I'm waiting to be stopped and getting a fine, when I drive my backhoe to my other property to push snow.

WMU 4C Lehigh County

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page