editorial - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Sage

editorial

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/edi...nterstitialskip

<span style="font-style: italic">Even more far reaching are prospects for natural gas. It's now so abundant and cheap that it could displace large amounts of imported oil and high-carbon coal while fueling a renaissance in manufacturing.

</span>

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 05:55 PM
LDD
Part of the Community

Re: editorial

Amen, now comes the real test. Will we use this new found energy at home to make American lives cheaper, more efficient, cleaner and to provide jobs. Or, will the large companies sell overseas, control the supply to manipulate prices and screw the middle class? This is the tipping point and the most important part of the equation. Now that it's cheap, what will they do?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Sage

I hope it does alleviate the cost of energy here but a number of changes need to come before it impacts our life in a meaningful way.

U.S. gas closed today at approximately $2.30, approximately $12.00 and $15.00 in Europe and Asia respectively. Hard to keep a profit driven company from ignoring the differences.

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 10:44 PM
The Man

www.foxbusiness.com/.../dominion-ceo-expects-to-get-natural-gas-e...

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Sage

couln't open that link Buzz

http://marcellusdrilling.com/2012/01...ermit-in-2012/

wmu 3A
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 11:09 PM
The Man

Thanks for the fix....guess I should have checked it...

Living in a area where the gas business creates a lot of jobs, in a time when the rest of our economy is is still down, the export is a double edge sword.

The export market creates a demand, hence work is better, more jobs etc..etc.

But then we all want the energy independance and would like to see the NG used at home.

I guess in the end it doesnt matter what we want, the energy companys will do what makes them the most money.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Largest shale play in the world, infrastructure started, lets keep them here drilling and in the meantime IF some NG goes overseas that keeps it profitable while we start finding more uses for NG right here.

WMU 2B
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trueamerican
Largest shale play in the world, infrastructure started, lets keep them here drilling and in the meantime IF some NG goes overseas that keeps it profitable while we start finding more uses for NG right here.
I agree with that thought, I'v learned in the milk buisness that you can't build a wall around your country.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:57 PM
LDD
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj103.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trueamerican
I agree with that thought, I'v learned in the milk buisness that you can't build a wall around your country.
Nobody is stopping the drilling, it might fluctuate between busy and break-neck but it's not going anywhere. Once the LNG deportation sites are on-line on the east coast I fear that it will be a lot like letting the genie out of the bottle. For profit driven companies it's a no brainer. We have a limited amount of time to develop the infrastructure here to create the demand because if we don't the Chinese are buying and buying big.

I'm extremely Nationalistic on the point of energy independence. We need the infrastructure and the GAS here. I have no problem with them keeping it profitable because we need the profit for the jobs. I do have a problem with them selling out to China and Europe so that their CEOs can get 200 million dollar golden parachutes. Creating a domestic market for gas is not building a wall around the resource, it's being smart and finding a balance between creating jobs and providing this country with much needed energy. Stemming the tide of greed is almost an insurmountable obstacle and I have great reseravtions about where all this gas will end up.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Sage

One place it <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> "end up", is building some gas-fired generation plants in the northern tier, close to the gas fields. Or, once pipelines have been built, closer to the end users.

One had been proposed sometime ago, but I haven't seen much news on that lately.

Naturally, it would create another mess, because there are already several groups fighting a proposed transmission line across PA, to supply power to NY and NJ. But there are already major efforts being made by several environmental orgs against coal-fired generation plants now.

Gas is available, more efficient, cleaner and probably cheaper in the long run?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page