what's up doc? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

what's up doc?

Pennsylvania law states that companies must disclose the identity and amount of any chemicals used in fracking fluids to any health professional that requests that information in order to diagnosis or treat a patient that may have been exposed to a hazardous chemical. But the provision in the new bill requires those health professionals to sign a confidentiality agreement stating that they will not disclose that information to anyone elseónot even the person they're trying to treat.

http://motherjones.com/environment/2...g-pennsylvania

vegetarian:
ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who cant hunt or fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 03:00 PM
LDD
Part of the Community

Re: what's up doc?

yeah, this law basically shows what these companies are all about, their profit. Which I have no problem with until it affects my family.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Sage

I doubt that will hold up in court. Putting proprietary chemical combinations ahead of the health and safety of citizens isn't the kind of thing the court will look at with favor.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 11:14 PM
LDD
Part of the Community

I really hope you're right JohnS...who's running the state anyways?? I mean, what the &*^%? My kid gets sick and the doctor can't tell me why? You've got to be kidding!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The real issue here is the fact that people are NOT getting sick from frac chemicals and this whole issue has been used to try to stop drilling from day one. I know of no one that has ever been taken from a frac job for being exposed to any chemicals, frac fluids are not getting into the auqifer so people can not be getting sick from them. This is a case of assuming that news reports are true then over reaction to that non issue!

WMU 2B
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM
LDD
Part of the Community

1trueamerican,

This has absolutely nothing to do with stopping drilling. It has everything to do with the health of the men, women and children in the state that may OR MAY NOT BE exposed to these chemicals. Don't forget, until a year and a half ago this frac water was being freely and legally dumped into our waterways.

There are things that happen that are called accidents. Sometimes they happen with volatile chemicals, sometimes they happen with automobiles. Just because nobody is being affected by radiation right now does it mean it's not dangerous? This is a law instituted by the lobby for the drillers to protect not only their proprietary concerns but to shield them from lawsuits connected to any accident they might have, to the detriment of the PA public. You're telling me that all those fracking chemicals don't have MSDS sheets that explain what happens with long term exposure to these chemicals? If there was no danger why did the drilling lobby hide this stipulation in a bill? Oh, I guess it's because there's a conspiracy among PA doctors to expose the proprietary mixtures used by drilling companies throughout the state. Gimme a break! I'm for the drilling of natural gas in this state, but I'm not for the all powerful, multi-billion dollar corporations passing laws that undermine the rights of every PA citizen and their health and the inherent "right to know" about their health and what may OR MAY NOT BE affecting it. This is one more step in the corporate control of America and the undermining of our rights based on the almighty dollar.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

No. What I mean is that I have been around wells being drilled, fraced, produced or plugged for almost 40 years and have never, not once, seen someone overcome with frac chemicals or sickened as the news media and the anti drilling people say. I am not calling you anti drilling, I am saying that the anti drilling groups are using this to drum up anti drilling support. No one is dumping chemicals into the rivers, no one is polluting the aquifers. It is not happening. The frac fluids are 99.5% water and sand, I would not drink it straight, but there are plenty of things I would not ingest. Although it probably would not hurt me. Fracing has been around PA for 60 years....why is everyone just getting sick in the past 2 years? Or is this a convenient story for the news media that has been willing help for the anti drilling crowd.

WMU 2B
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 PM
LDD
Part of the Community

Fair enough 1True...but this isn't about "drumming up" anything. It's a law that was passed. It was pushed through by the drillers. Why is there a law that they pushed through if there's nothing to worry about?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 12:25 AM
The Man

proprietary rights to the frac formula.....kinda like the recipe for Coke, Pepsi, KFC..etc..etc.

Companys put a lot of time and money into figuring that formula out. They do not want to give that away....to other companys...or other country's.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Sage

I will bet if there was something in coke or pepsi that made people sick the Drs would be able to tell the sick person or the family if a child what made them sick.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page