EPA/DIMICK RESULTS

First 11 Dimock homes sampled by EPA show no health concerns

By Laura Legere (Staff Writer)

Published: March 15, 2012

Article Tools

Font size: [A] [A] [A]

Our Social Networks

Facebook

The first 11 Dimock Twp. water supplies tested by the Environmental Protection Agency did not reveal levels of contamination that could present a health concern, but the samples indicated the presence of arsenic and other compounds that will require further tests at some homes, the agency said Thursday.

Agency officials hand delivered test results to residents whose wells were sampled during the week of Jan. 23 and will meet again with the families individually to review the results and answer questions.

In a statement Thursday, the EPA said samples from six of the 11 homes showed concentrations of sodium, methane, chromium or bacteria, but all were within the safe range for drinking water. The sampling results also identified arsenic in two homes' water supplies, both of which are being sampled again by the agency.

"Although the (arsenic) levels meet drinking water standards, we will resample to better characterize the water quality of these wells," EPA spokesman Roy Seneca said in the statement.

Three of the 11 homes tested during the first week of sampling are receiving replacement water deliveries from the EPA. Those deliveries will continue "while we perform additional sampling to ensure that the drinking water quality at these homes remains consistent and acceptable for use over time," Mr. Seneca said.

The agency began testing about 60 water wells in January after past tests by the state and other groups raised concerns that nearby natural gas drilling had impacted water supplies.

Mr. Seneca said that the agency will share more test results with Dimock homeowners "as further quality assured data becomes available for the remaining homes."

Read more: http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/first-1...3#ixzz1pEFWm7ym

Your never to old to learn something stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: EPA/DIMICK RESULTS

<span style="font-weight: bold">Federal environmental regulators say well water testing at 11 homes in a northeastern Pennsylvania village did not turn up elevated levels of contamination from gas drilling</span>.

www.pennlive.com ... Breaking News

Hey G-17, doesn't look like the anti gas crowd has much credibility after this does it? Also looks like the group who calls themselves something like "the other 90%" (?)....ya know the group of Dimick residents who claim the water is fine......looks like maybe they are telling the truth.

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 12:15 PM

Looks like the antis don't want to discuss the EPA's findings but if the findings had been the other way this would be a lively topic. Maybe someone should make a movie called the Great white lie in Dimmock. What do you think Buzz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 01:20 PM

Could it be there was a leak and the complaining got it fixed and now it has run it's course and flushed from the system. Maybe if no one complained loud enough it would have continued.

What do these results do for the claim that it was naturally occurring? Did nature fix itself aftre all these years? HMMM.

Not really anti drilling so maybe you won't get any replies from anti's but it still can be discussed. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 04:26 PM
g17
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz
Federal environmental regulators say well water testing at 11 homes in a northeastern Pennsylvania village did not turn up elevated levels of contamination from gas drilling.

www.pennlive.com ... Breaking News

Hey G-17, doesn't look like the anti gas crowd has much credibility after this does it?
Elevated levels no, is it in the water yes. You've got to remember this is from incidents that no one is disputing happened 4 years ago. How those compounds move along an aquifer is really anyone's guess. There are another 48 or 49 results still not in and I do know personally 2 houses that are getting water delivered in a water buffalo by Cabot after the dep found the arsenic levels increased twofold between an August 2011 test and a January 2012 test. These 2 houses are not involved in the Dimock litigation.

As to credibility issues, these people claimed there was something in the water. 4 years pass and the EPA says yes there is something in the water but not at elevated levels at this time. I don't see it hurting anyone's credibility. I think the remaining test results will be interesting.

On another note, how does this affect pro driller's credibility:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n0oM4R5WKE
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 04:28 PM
g17
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj103.5
Looks like the antis don't want to discuss the EPA's findings but if the findings had been the other way this would be a lively topic. Maybe someone should make a movie called the Great white lie in Dimmock. What do you think Buzz?
I and most of the people I know are more than happy to discuss the epa's testing. As was mentioned: "the samples indicated the presence of arsenic and other compounds that will require further tests at some homes"
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
The Man

The EPA's findings are a long way from what those people were saying.I believe Arsenic can be naturaly occuring, and does not have to be atributed to gas drilling.

" did not turn up elevated levels of contamination from gas drilling"

that was the quote. Note the last 3 words.

You now have DEP and EPA results both confirming that. I still find it odd that 90% of the Dimick residents say that area has always had poor water and methane in it. Now there are EPA and DEP test results to show it's not related to gas drilling, yet you hold tight to the theory that those peoples water is ruined due to NG Drilling, although to be honest.....I did not expect any differant.

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
g17
Hooked on HuntingPa

*did not turn up elevated levels of contamination from gas drilling" combined with "the samples indicated the presence of arsenic and other compounds that will require further tests at some homes"

to me that reads they found low levels of contamination from gas drilling. Guess we'll have to wait for the rest of the results instead of speculating.

Let me ask you this, if the DEP said the water was no good, If Cabot's own testing last year showed the water was no good, If the EPA looking over the dep and cabot's testing said the water was no good. Would you drink it? All of the above events have happened.

As to the other 90 percent, I know a few who changed their mind when the water buffalo was hooked up to the house.

Your thoughts on the Franklin Forks water well blowing methane? I notice you dodged that.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Let me ask you this, if the DEP said the water was no good, If Cabot's own testing last year showed the water was no good, If the EPA looking over the dep and cabot's testing said the water was no good. Would you drink it? All of the above events have happened.
I believe the "operative issue" here, is whether or not the well water was rendered "no good" due to the recent drilling; OR is determined to have been a pre-existing condition, unrelated to the gas drilling?

Which to me, is what the article is about.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I believe the original problem was shallow methane getting into aquifier, and that is what Cabot and Dep were talking about. I am not positive that was all, and dont have time to look it up right now.

There were acusations that a slew of other chemicals are in there water, and all from gas drilling. as I read it, the EPA test show that is not true. I am sure further test will show more results.

Bottom line to me so far......The antis put a big dog and pony show on over in Dimick makeing all kinds of claims.....the EPA results to date show that as usual, they were all talk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page