Does anyone know? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know?

There's a lot of drilling going on in some areas I hunt and was wondering if anyone knows what these areas will be like in a year or two? Will there still be traffic going to and from the well or will it just be the well pad with minimal traffic? I'm trying to look on the bright side of gas drilling and am hoping it will be decent hunting near the well pads in a few years?

1 Corinthians 15:1-4- Christ died for our sins, was buried and rose again the third day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Banned

Re: Does anyone know?

just minimal traffic for maintainence
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Lots of factors but I bet it will be a while before it settles down. Fracking and pipelines are two major ones....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Sage

Access, pad installations and other disturbances come first, then the drilling. Fracking usually occurs soon thereafter and once that is done, nothing much happens until the connecting pipelines are started.

Some of the wells near my camp, are all "ready and done", but for the local connections via pipelines. In some cases, it's been close to a year since activity ceased on those well pads. Locally, they're still negotiating ROWs for those small connecting pipelines.

Down the road, pads will be redone to smaller, remaining "footprints" and most areas restored to either grasslands or croplands, if that's what they were prior to the disturbances?

One of my camp neighbors gave up about 12 acres of a corn field for a well, almost two years ago. They may drill a few more wells on the well pad, so both it and the fracking pad are still in place. On another pad about a half mile away, the fracking pad has already disappeared and will be crops again by next spring.

In the woods, most pipelines will eventually appear as long, narrow "food plots", when everything is done.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Long narrow food plots....i like that.

WMU 2B
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Sage

The critters should like them, too?

I was initially signed up for a pipeline ROW across my camp land, but they could never get an agreement to go beyond my next adjacent neighbor, so that fell through last fall.

It would've crossed my 5 acre hayfield, then up through old reverting pasture and across my woods, to the neighbor's woods.

They asked if I wanted anything planted in the pasture and woods, when they were done. Told 'em I'd take care of seeding those areas, once they had everything graded.

At last weekend's PFSC convention, most of Sat. was taken up with a Marcellus Shale symposium, hosted by the Keystone Energy Forum. Andarko, Range Resources and other exploration outfits took part, along with all four PA agencies affected by gas drilling.

Great presentations by all those participating and some pretty energetic Q&A sessions during the day's events. Also represented on the discussion panels, were PFSC's Conservation Comm. chairwoman, TU and a snowmobile org.

Quite a few were favorably impressed with what the industry folks had to say and the power point pics on both drilling and restoration work. DCNR and DEP both debunked much of the press info on their supposed inability to regulate and inspect.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I didn't sign a pipeline ROW. They had no problem going around me.....
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Sage

I had no problem signing one.

They agree to reseed in the hayfield with perennial clover; The money would've paid the taxes for about the next 7 years; And the cleared ROW thru the old pasture and woods, would've made for a dandy food plot, far beyond my ability to produce on my own.

My son was opposed to a ROW, because he feared having the pipeline would lead to whomever owns the gas rights to our land, would be inclined to site a well on it. Told him I can't stop someone from drilling a well anyway, so the heck with it.

Finally had to remind him that my name is on the deed, not his. Yet.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well... They've got it marked and its just off my property. They can have the food plot.... I'll keep the bedding area! If they were going across a field I would have signed it on day one.

I already have a powerline ROW on my property and the gas line will only be 100 yds or so and running about the same direction. I could have paid taxes for about 12 years with the money but I still didn't want it. Its not that I wouldn't like to have the extra income, I want somewhere to hunt in 15 years.....

There are pluses and minuses to every bit of it....

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Sage

Out of curiosity, how would a pipeline ROW adversely affect your hunting over the next 15 years?

I also have an elec. ROW across some of my property, probably about 200 yards long in the woods.

It's not far from the twp. gravel road, mostly. They cut it about every 6 to 8 years. It soons comes up mostly in saplings and sumacs. The grouse love the sumacs and the deer like to bed down in there, once it gets high enough again. They also feast on the young regen, the first year or two.

When they were trying to "sell" me on a gas ROW, one of the ol' boys from down south, kept telling me it'd give me more shooting lanes in the woods. Told him I already have ample shooting lanes...right where the deer usually travel.

Here's the "funny" part on that: Years ago I cut some trails through the scrubby woods, so I could get up to the top of my property with an ATV, mostly to skid firewood logs out. Later, widened them a bit so I can also get up in there with my little IH tractor.

Took a year or less, but now the deer tend to run on those trails all year long. Seldom walk up one of those trails without seeing fresh deer tracks and the browse along the way, is always some of the first to get eaten.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page