24-Inch Energy Transfer Partners Natural Gas Pipeline Put In Service Sept. 3 Explodes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

24-Inch Energy Transfer Partners Natural Gas Pipeline Put In Service Sept. 3 Explodes

The Beaver County Times reported Monday afternoon a 24-inch natural gas gathering pipeline owned by Energy Transfer Partners put into service on September 3 exploded early Monday morning destroying a house, barn and several vehicles in Center Township, Beaver County.

Public Utility Commission pipeline safety staff is on site and investigating the cause of the explosion.

The pipeline company set up a hotline for people who have questions or have had property damage related to the explosion. They are to call 1-800-445-5846.

A landslide caused a newly constructed TransCanada natural gas pipeline to explode in West Virginia in July.

Click Here to read the entire article.

Gas line explodes in Center Twp., destroys house, barn, cars - News - The Times - Beaver, PA

Rep. Christopher Quinn (R-Delaware) issued a statement in reaction to the explosion calling for an immediate halt to all pipeline construction activities on Energy Transfer Partners' Mariner East Pipelines.

“Today’s pipeline explosion in Beaver County was a graphic illustration of my worst fears – and the fears of many local residents – related to the construction of the [Energy Transfer Partners’] Mariner East pipeline.

“While I am relieved to know that no injuries occurred, I also realize that this area of Beaver County is far less dense than the pipeline corridor in Delaware County. A similar incident in my district could be even more destructive and have a greater human toll.

“Therefore, I am calling for an immediate halt to all pipeline construction activities. This pipeline should not be built until the real and legitimate safety and environmental concerns raised by myself and local residents have been fully addressed.

“It is the responsibility of Sunoco Logistics and Energy Transfer Partners to prove that the tragedy that happened today in Beaver County – including the evacuation of residents and closure of a school – could never happen in our community. If they are unable to do so, then this pipeline should not be built. Public safety must be the top priority.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 09:54 PM
The Man

Oops...………………..

demokraten saugen
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 06:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Glad to hear no one was hurt, That's a pretty good size gas pipe. China Steel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 06:54 AM

Safety first until it interferes with production . . . .
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 01:06 PM

don't worry ,
the EPA is there to help you out …
they are rolling back regulations on inspection and leak detection
maybe they'll announce it in center township ad give away free raw hot dogs

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Nothing in the article about what actually caused the explosion, just that there was some "earth movement" at the site, but I think that would be expected when a pipe three feet underground explodes. I'd be interested in knowing what actually caused the gas to ignite.
bohunr and Woods walker like this.

MAGA 2020
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59Willys View Post
Glad to hear no one was hurt, That's a pretty good size gas pipe. China Steel?

Your "China Steel" question bears investigation by an entity that is not on the payroll of the company or the government.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 07:43 PM

profit comes first. if they get sued they will be allowed to set aside a predetermined amount to be distributed to all injured parties. that actually limits claims to a certain amount.

ever notice all those medical lawsuit commercials on TV ? the Government allows the manufacturers of these faulty medical devices to put aside a predetermined amount of money. Once all the paperwork is submitted then a "claims" center has a "special master" who determines how much money everyone gets based on the seriousness of your claim.

of course the attorneys get their cut, then the claims center gets their "Fees" and then the injured party gets theirs. its all a SCAM designed to protect the corporate thugs.

they need to shut down this pipeline FAST.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 07:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The pipeline that exploded is about 2 miles from my home. The section that failed is installed through a deep gorge with very steep sides. I've heard the hillside gave way due to the recent rains causing the failure.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Public Utility Commission Chairman Gladys M. Brown and personnel from the PUC’s Pipeline Safety and Electric Safety Divisions Wednesday said they are continuing their work in Beaver County following Monday morning’s incident involving a natural gas gathering line.
“We appreciate the strong interest in this incident – especially for the residents directly impacted by the fire and evacuation – and safe pipeline operations is top priority for the Commission,” said PUC Chairman Gladys M. Brown. “It is important to understand that these are complex incidents that require extensive work by PUC engineers and other experts before any conclusions can be reached.”
The PUC Pipeline Safety Division continues to coordinate with local emergency responders to inspect the incident scene – though inclement weather and poor on-site conditions continue to limit access to the site.
Pipeline Safety Engineers have confirmed the following:
-- The incident involved a 24-inch natural gas gathering line located in Center Township, Beaver County, operated by Energy Transfer Partners. Gathering lines are pipelines used to transport crude oil or natural gas from production sites to collection or transmission sites.
-- The pipeline is in what is known as a Class 3 location. Location classification (Class 1 through 4) is based on population density near the pipeline, per federal standards – with Class 1 lines located in the most lightly populated areas and Class 4 lines located in the most densely populated areas.
-- The pipeline falls under the jurisdiction of the PUC’s Pipeline Safety Division based on Act 127 of 2011, the “Pipeline Act,” which expanded the Commission’s authority to enforce federal pipeline safety laws as they relate to gas and hazardous liquids pipeline equipment and facilities within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
-- The pipeline was recently constructed and was in the process of being energized when the incident occurred.
-- The pipeline was pressure tested in 2017 and 2018.
-- The investigation by the PUC’s Pipeline Safety Division will examine all aspects of construction and operation, to identify the nature and cause of the incident.
-- The PUC continues to coordinate with Beaver County Emergency Management, the Department of Environmental Protection and other utilities operating in the area around the incident site.
-- Any potential investigations by other state or federal agencies would be separate and independent of the PUC pipeline safety investigation.
In addition to the natural gas line involved in Monday’s incident, there was damage to nearby high voltage electric transmission and distribution lines and towers for FirstEnergy/West Penn Power and Duquesne Light.
The utilities were able to re-route power around the damaged area for most customers and service was restored to all remaining locations yesterday. The PUC’s Electric Safety Division and Bureau of Technical Utility Services will continue to receive regular updates from the utilities as permanent repair work continues.
The Pipeline Safety and Electric Safety Divisions are part of the PUC’s independent Bureau of Investigation and Enforcement (I&E). Safety engineers are in the field daily, conducting inspections of utility construction, operations and integrity management activities.
They also investigate issues discovered during their inspections, along with incidents reported by utility operators, emergency response agencies and other concerned third parties.
As a policy, I&E does not comment on details of investigations until they result in enforcement action or a formal petition or complaint filed before the Commission.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page