Gas well in my back yard - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

Gas well in my back yard

I bought a chunk of land last year and just found out today that a well is going in right behind my barn in the field adjacent to mine.When I bought the property,I inquired about the gas rights and was told I'd have to have an attorny do a deed search.I planned on doing so until I talked with my neighbor one day and he told me that he owned them.Would it be worth having the search done?Is there anything I should do to protect my interests?I knew from the beginning that I was most likely SOL if they drilled near me but didn't expect to see a well so soon and so close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:25 PM
The Man

Re: Gas well in my back yard

Doug, shouldn't the gas company know who has the rights? You may want to contact them before you spend any money on it.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

I thought about that but I have to find out who's actually dilling.I'm not sure where they plan on piping this gas out either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:33 PM

If you have a copy of your deed, it should say whether you own them or not. If you don't have a copy, you can pull the deed at the county recorder of deeds or someone there should be able to assist you. The deed would indicate if you bought the mineral rights or not. You should also be able to track when they were sold and to whom while your there if you don't own them.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
dce
Sage

Gas rights aren't mentione in my deed.I'm no expert but I think it's a little too complacted to track it by myself.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Sage

is your deed fee simple ?

wmu 3A
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 PM

The mineral rights, gas, coal, etc, if sold would be recorded at the county. Most county recorder of deeds would be helpful enought to help you through the process of locating who owns the rights. Normally if you can provide them with previous owners, deeds, or your neighbors name that claims to own the rights, they could likely help you out. Your other option is to have an attorney do the work for a fee, but if your willing to spend a little time doing some research in the recorder of deeds office, you can likely get the information yourself.

On a side note, you might have a hard time getting any information from the gas company. Particularly if your not involved in the deal. I am guessing that if they did not contact you about your gas rights at this point and the well is going in on top of your property, then you probably don't own the rights. But it never hurts to look into the matter.

Good luck.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:04 PM
klb
Part of the Community

dce-you may or may not own the gas rights but your deed is likely silent on the issue. You or an abstractor would need to search the title back to the 1880's or so to be certain. The title chain could be straight forward or it could be complex-you wouldn't know until you looked.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Sage

While it may be necessary to have a title search done, if a deed makes no mention of gas/mineral rights, the info on previous owners of that parcel should still be retained at the Recorder of Deeds office?

Problem these days with going in and expecting help, is that many of those offices are packed with people doing the research and the clerks are very busy. They can direct you to the proper book containing the info on each parcel, but I wouldn't expect much help in actually looking it up in that book?

Last time I was in that office at the Tioga Co. courthouse, must've been at least a dozen or more others in there, pouring over the records. Probably two or three years ago, on the leading edge of the Marcellus shale boom.

My cabin land deed has one line in it noting when the gas/mineral rights were sold; Who the land owner was at the time (1930s) those rights were sold and to whom those rights were sold, back then.

Hard to imagine a current deed not having all such info in it?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 04:18 PM

Many of the old deeds talk about mineral rights due to coal but that is not the same as deep gas rights. Your neighbor my have sold the lot and kept the mineral rights but that does not mean he has the gas rights. You may have to pay an attorney to review the deed. If you have a home on this lot with a water well I would also have it tested now before they start drilling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page