Oil? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Oil?

I had a neighbor upstate tell me he has heard that they think even deeper down past the natural gas there is oil. Right now they supposedly have no way to get to it, but one day they will. Has anyone else heard anything about this? I hate to start/spread rumors like this, but the guy who told me knows what is going on and is very involved in PA's gas situation. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 06:42 PM

Re: Oil?

it makes sense, methane gas is produced from from decaying marine plankton ( if I remember my college geology) and is usually found close to oil
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Oil, gas and water can be found in any formation that can trap hydrocarbons and all three can be present at the same time. In general oil is found in formations that are less mature and formed under lesser amounts of temperature and pressure. That being said, the marcellus has no "oil" in the northern and central parts of the state. Condensate or "wet gas" is being found along with the gas in the southwestern part of the state and is not generally considered "oil" here in PA. I know that sounds confusing but this gas play and deeper shale gas plays are probably only going to contain natural gas and condensate due to the depths that they are being found.
By the way , that "wet gas" is a valuable commodity.

WMU 2B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 01:05 PM

[quote=1trueamer That being said, the marcellus has no "oil" in the northern and central parts of the state. [/quote]

1true i don't know if you are completely correct on this. My brother works for a gas company in the northern tier in Mckean,Potter and southern tier of New york (not drilling Marcellus field)and they are pulling large amounts of crude out of the same wells, at the same time they are getting natural gas drilling at 1,300 - 2,500 foot depths. I don't know if you have ever driven through that area put it is not hard 2 see all the "jacks" & tanks pumping and collecting oil. I know of one location 1/4 mile from my grandfathers farm were the oil doesn't even need to be pumped from the below. It runs out of the side of the mountian into a rubber lined pond and is collected by a pump truck every week.It's gone on like this for over 25 years. Mckean county is well know for it's oil play hence the town names of Kendall,Derrick city and Tarport. Tarport in 1879 produced approx 50,000, yes 50 thousand, barrels of oil per day from just ten wells. In Bradford on a 85,000 acre field peak production in 1881 was approx 23 MILLION barrels in one year which accounted for 83% of the nations output and 77% of the worlds total production. Pretty amazing for having no "oil" in the northern and central parts of the state. And if they did it then some 130 years ago, we certainly can do it today with all the advancements we have made in the oil and gas industry. And hey if you are putting in a "gas" well why not collect the oil if it's there? I say go for it !!!

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

About 2 years ago there was a Penn State rep doing a presentation in Tunkhannock. Discussed was that the Marcellus is a low pressure yield meaning a well may produce from 10-15 years, compared to the high pressure field in Central NY that produces very high volumes but for maybe only 5 years. He said there is evidence that suggests the NY high pressure field extends below the marcellus and that there may be a layer of oil between the two. Speaking to some of the seismic testers that have already gone through here they also mention this. I guess time will tell. I'm sure they have their internal reasons and they seem to guard the test results.

I had seismic testing twice on my property. Once on behalf of Cabot and then again by an independent looking to sell the results.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Sage

The seismic tests are considered proprietary information for the company that had them performed.

wmu 3A
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

[QUOTE=long beard]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trueamer That being said, the marcellus has no "oil" in the northern and central parts of the state.[/QUOTE

1true i don't know if you are completely correct on this. My brother works for a gas company in the northern tier in Mckean,Potter and southern tier of New york (not drilling Marcellus field)and they are pulling large amounts of crude out of the same wells, at the same time they are getting natural gas drilling at 1,300 - 2,500 foot depths. I don't know if you have ever driven through that area put it is not hard 2 see all the "jacks" & tanks pumping and collecting oil. I know of one location 1/4 mile from my grandfathers farm were the oil doesn't even need to be pumped from the below. It runs out of the side of the mountian into a rubber lined pond and is collected by a pump truck every week.It's gone on like this for over 25 years. Mckean county is well know for it's oil play hence the town names of Kendall,Derrick city and Tarport. Tarport in 1879 produced approx 50,000, yes 50 thousand, barrels of oil per day from just ten wells. In Bradford on a 85,000 acre field peak production in 1881 was approx 23 MILLION barrels in one year which accounted for 83% of the nations output and 77% of the worlds total production. Pretty amazing for having no "oil" in the northern and central parts of the state. And if they did it then some 130 years ago, we certainly can do it today with all the advancements we have made in the oil and gas industry. And hey if you are putting in a "gas" well why not collect the oil if it's there? I say go for it !!!

Longbeard, you are correct, the northern tier of PA is quite well known for it's shallow oil production. My comment above was about the marcellus shale formation only. sorry for the confusion.

WMU 2B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page