Gas Lease VS. Hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Gas Lease VS. Hunting

I own 30 acres in Bradford County,I like every one else have been offered good money for the gas/minerals.I know next to nothing about all of this.How would this effect my land if they were to start drilling?Would it effect the hunting seasons?Would it leave a permanent scar?
It looks like my nieghbors are all doing this,will they be taking the gas from under my property anyway?

I love this land and saved all my life to buy it,I would like to leave it to my kids!

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 11:55 AM

Re: Gas Lease VS. Hunting

what "kind" of lease are they offering? If they are NOT drilling on your property or placing a pipeline or access road there should be no disturbance to your property. If they drill on nearby property there may be some disturbance "noise" best to contact your neighbors to see how their lease reads or some attorney with gas lease experiance.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Part of the Community

Everyone is drilling around my property, and I am torn as to what to do. I have consulted with an attorney, and would strongly suggest anyone considering selling or leasing their gas/mineral rights to go through an experienced attorney. I don't want to ruin my land for hunting, or ruin my water well, etc., but I suppose if there is enough money involved, my kids and I will be able to afford to go out West and hunt every year. You can count on whatever gas company drills, if it is on your land, to "disturb" twice the acreage as what the gas company tells you, between access roads, drilling site, any ponds needed, etc. Make sure you review everything...where you want your topsoil stored, what is to be re-seeded, who gets any lumber, runoff protection, etc. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I really don't want to do this!I wish my nieghbors hadn't done it!I am a blue collar guy,but if I thought it would hurt my land I would tell them to stick it.

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 12:49 PM

i also hunt bradford county stevensville area .there is a drilling operation off of 367. there is orange ribbion everywhere in that area .from my hunting stand is a wood stake with ribbions all around it about 40 yards.owner said they are checking for gas may run a line .good luck!!!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Drill, baby drill! Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. We were told up to 2 acres for the pad work, and max acreage they've been using is 2 acres for the huge Paterson rigs. Upon completion, they will landscape the effected area and all that will remain is their maintained access road and a 1/8 to 1/4 acre fenced in area to monitor the well. As for your well, the casing for the wells are 3000', your water well is maximum 300'-350'. The company must test your water before and after drilling. Have your lease drawn up that they are responsible for your water. If they damage the well they are responsible. You can also have your lease state there will be no drilling or disturbance to your property. But if you go that route, you may want to allow them access to run the pipeline across your land if they need to. It'll speed up the process and get the wells from your unit connected online and then the $$ starts coming in. You may lose some time hunting there, depending what time of year they drill near you, but I wouldn't worry about it. They're drilling all around us and it hasn't effected my hunting at all. I've seen more deer while on stand in the 4 days I hunted this week than I did during the first week of any other archery season.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Having done a lot of work on our lease and researched a lot I can only tell you to contact an attorney. It may cost you a few hundred dollars up front but the protection of your property is your first concern. We have a clause in our lease that states no drilling from the start of Bow season until the end of the late season. You can also have a no drill clause in your lease, where they can't drill for the gas on your property but you get money if they take it from your zone (I think each one is 360 acres....I think) You want to protect your property and rights as much as possible....don't rush into any lease without a full understanding of what you are getting into. An experienced attorney who has experience in gas leases could help you a lot.....make sure they are experienced with these leases...PM me if you want the name of the guy we went through and I'll pass along his number to you. Protect your land......

Bradford County WMU3C
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackbarrel
Drill, baby drill! Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. We were told up to 2 acres for the pad work, and max acreage they've been using is 2 acres for the huge Paterson rigs. Upon completion, they will landscape the effected area and all that will remain is their maintained access road and a 1/8 to 1/4 acre fenced in area to monitor the well. As for your well, the casing for the wells are 3000', your water well is maximum 300'-350'. The company must test your water before and after drilling. Have your lease drawn up that they are responsible for your water. If they damage the well they are responsible. You can also have your lease state there will be no drilling or disturbance to your property. But if you go that route, you may want to allow them access to run the pipeline across your land if they need to. It'll speed up the process and get the wells from your unit connected online and then the $$ starts coming in. You may lose some time hunting there, depending what time of year they drill near you, but I wouldn't worry about it. They're drilling all around us and it hasn't effected my hunting at all. I've seen more deer while on stand in the 4 days I hunted this week than I did during the first week of any other archery season.

Each pad consists of 4 acres of used land, not including any land they need for pipeline, roads, etc....the upfront money is tempting to many but I think with 30 acres I would go with a no drill clause and no pipe line clause in my lease. He may get less money up front but preserving his hunting property seems to be most important....plus if they sink a well in the zone he's in he will money for that.....look at all the oil spills and water issues they are having in Susquehanna Co......protect your land...

Bradford County WMU3C
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Sage

Start reading on this website:

http://naturalgas.extension.psu.edu/AboutUs.htm

Educate yourself. I agree, get a experienced attorney to represent your interests.

Good luck.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 01:39 PM

30 acres under lease for 5 years would have gotten you an instant $75,000 here last August. For that kind of money, and royalties, I can put up hunting a Gameland till they're done.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page