How much land required? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

How much land required?

I found out that a new Marcellus well is being drilled near my property. My question is how much land must the company have leased around the well? I am less than 1/2 mi away and was never approached about leasing anything. I have all rights on my 100 acre parcel, but can they reach gas on my land and I lose out on the cash.
I wasn't interested in leasing anything but if they're this close and already drilling I don't suspect anyone else is going to come to the area asking now. Looking for some input. Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: How much land required?

Cayman,
You were never approched to lease ur mineral rights? I find that hard to believe. I am a landman, and if they are going to drill they probably have a square mile blocked off to drill, and if they didnt get yours, i doubt they are goin after the marcellus. And if they are, there is nothing you can do to stop them from going underneath your property. Once the bit goes in the ground it can go anywhere... There are not property lines under the surface. Its the law

I did the 2008 Triple Trophy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Sage

I'm not so sure ahout that...post the law

If that were the law, the gas companies are just throwing money away leasing all the land that they do. Nor would mineral rights be of any importance.

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 02:12 PM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by landmancraig
Cayman,
You were never approched to lease ur mineral rights? I find that hard to believe. I am a landman, and if they are going to drill they probably have a square mile blocked off to drill, and if they didnt get yours, i doubt they are goin after the marcellus. And if they are, there is nothing you can do to stop them from going underneath your property. Once the bit goes in the ground it can go anywhere... There are not property lines under the surface. Its the law
Landmancraig, respectfully you're wrong about that. If he owns his gas rights and they aren't leased, he can't be drilled under! Property lines do exist underground for mineral / oil & gas purposes. The poster says "a 1/2 mile away", if the well is 2,500' away there is no need for him to be leased. Even if it's going to be a horizontal well it may be drilled in the opposite direction.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

A drillbit can not go under a property that is not leased. That is called subsurface tresspass and is against the law. If they are drilling a deep aka conservation well, then the drill has to stay 330 ft away from the property line, surface or subsurface. A deep well is a well that is drilled into the Onandaga formation. The Onandago formation sits below the Marcellus. So in all actuality, a company could drill a Marcellus well 5 ft from your property line, which would most likely draw gas from your property. In PA we have what is called the rule of capture. Not really yours until you extract it.

A tape measurer cannot measure a successful hunt
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Very well explained. i did not explain my idea well enough. You are right, they can run the bit right up to the line, and all actuality, it will pull the gas from the unleased property. This is why for many landowners if a company has leased all the way around you, should should strongly consider their offer to get a piece of the pie

I did the 2008 Triple Trophy
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

and I'll drink your milk shake!!!

In the wind, he's still alive.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Banned

What happens if I do NOT lease the gas rights, where does the gas and or $ go? I found that I am a lone holdout in a large leaseholding around me. What to do next???
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Sage

may want to consider a lawyer

wmu 3A
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have researched this because my land was leased to a company 4 years ago and now a different company since then has installed a well less than 500 feet from my property line with 2 horizontal shafts that parallel but do not pass under my property. The bottomline is that Pa has no rules regulating this, some states do. They are not responsible to pay me royalties because they have no lease with me and their lines do not cross my boundaries. Absent a state law requiring a minimum inclusion I cannot prove any of the gas withdrawn has come from under my property. There has been talk about this in the Pa legislature but no action. A lot of landowners will get screwed without state mandated minimums.

My understanding is that the state does not even have any minimum "setback" requirements for property lines. In other words a vertical well could go in within 100 feet of a property line and the adjoining property does not need to be included. Some states have like a 250-300' setback law where you can't drill within this distance if you don't have it leased.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page