Gas Lease Information Wanted - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Gas Lease Information Wanted

I recently received a letter from Shell about signing a gas lease for 3 acres of property we own in Tioga County, PA. They are offering a signing bonus of $300.00 per acre and 12.5 percent royalties for a 5 year lease. I talked to the Shell representative and told him I thought that offer was low. He refused to budge and said that was what they are offering. I told him I'd think it over and left it at that.

Has anybody dealt with Shell concerning a gas lease recently? Is their offer a lowball offer or is it fair? Any insight offered would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 03:16 PM
The Man

Re: Gas Lease Information Wanted

Thats extremely low, should be around 3000 per acre, and 18 percent.

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the info. I'm wondering, how much bargaining power do I have with only 3 acres? Also, Shell said the drilling unit is 1280 acres. I don't know if that has any bearing on things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 03:28 PM
The Man

If Im not mistaken, I thought a drilling pool was a square mile (640 acres). One thing to consider, is that in all likely hood wont put a drill rig on your land, they exact it along with another well. From what I know 1 well is good for 40 acres.

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I thought a unit was 640 acres also but they are saying 1280 acres.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 04:53 PM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

A drilling unit can be anything they want. They will get bigger as the technology improves (longer laterials). $3,000+/- is pretty standard with 18% or 15% at the well head (no deductions).

You probabaly have very little bargaining power. Unless a laterial goes directing under your property they don't NEED your lease. They will be taking your gas but you will still technically own it. What they are trying to avoid is you selling to some 3rd party broker once production starts.

Asked to see the permitting maps to see how close a lateral is to you.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks, DDX.

Do they have to show permitting maps to me? Suppose a lateral is close but not directly under my land?

What happens if I sell to a third party broker?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 07:29 PM
The Man

For 3 acres asking for $3000 and 18% is a dream unless they need you for some reason. We have 10 acres and just got offered (and signed) for $2500 and 16.5%. They started out at $500 and 12.5% which is standard.I told them to pound salt and he called me back with an offer of $750 and 15%= I told him to try again, and about a month later he called with the offer I signed for. I asked him why the change of heart and he said "we were now a targeted area". Out lease just expired a couple of months ago and it was the same exact money and only 15%. I feel pretty good about it because we got then for $25000 and they didn't do anything and now they gave us the same plus they have a well site targeted and we should get a little royalty money this time too. I am right on the Tioga/Bradford county line. They are really low balling you because typical start out offer is $500 and 12.5%. Ours is through talisman but they are all just alike. I would hold out. Tell them $3000 and work down from there. Usually first thing they will do is up your royalty to try and get you to bite.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Sage

DC..I strongly suggest you speak to an attorney Much more to leasing than bonus and royalty amount... A lawyer familiar with leasing in your locale should know what the going rates are and what is happening in the vicinity....

FYI 12.5% is the very least amount they can legally offer...They cannot go lower than that in this state.

wmu 3A
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 08:19 PM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc 21
Thanks, DDX.

Do they have to show permitting maps to me? Suppose a lateral is close but not directly under my land?

What happens if I sell to a third party broker?
Once they submit a well permit application to the DEP they have to show you. That's public info then. They don't have to before but usually will if it helps in negotiations.

A 3rd party broker will lease from you for more than they are offering (but usually still under market value) and try to "sell" your lease back to them at a profit. Its usually a group of investors with there own landman.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page