gas well flame - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

gas well flame

I was up in Potter today on E. Fork Rd above Conrad. The well they are/were drilling had a flame burning what looked to be 50 feet in the air. It was not right next to the drilling rig so it must have been a planned/normal thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:12 AM
The Man

Re: gas well flame

On Sunday I saw the same thing, a Marcellus well was flaring along Route 144 (The Ridge Road) going from Snowshoe towards Renovo, just a few miles past the intersection with Route 879. I'm not sure if this was on private land or state gamelands or state forest.

Does anyone know how much flaring goes along with Marcellus operations? And why does it have to be done? It seems like they are burning and wasting their product. Why?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Sage

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Sage

My brother told me they light up the night sky when they flare them off up in Tioga. Normal procedure, but I do not know why they do it.

"It only takes one person to care in order to get something changed." Bryan S.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:21 AM

I talked to a crew at a well near me with a flare. They told me they were cleaning up the well in order to get production numbers. Not sure how long they flared probably a week or two at most. They also told me they were only cleaning one well at that time. Two more later.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:33 AM
The Man

when they frac a well, they shove about 6 million gal ( +/- ) down the whole. when they are done, the gas comes out of the ground along with some of the water.
this water is called FLOW BACK WATER. for the first several days the water volumes are higher and come in burst.
companys who flare wells,( not all do ) usally open them wide open, catch the water while burning off the gas. this also gives them a idea of flow rates out of the well.

the water will continue to flow back, supposedly for the life of the well. that is why there are big holding tanks on well pads. a seperator will capture the water and divert it to the tank, while the gas goes to a pipeline.

that is the basic explanation that was given to me from gas comp.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:24 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Send a message via AIM to TributeArcher

A flare can be run for a number of different reasons. These reason run from pipeline infastructure not being in place to compressor station work is scheduled, to initial flowback on wells.
Flowbacks normally happen between 24 hrs to 10 days after a well is frac'd. A company will come in flare the gas off as they get returns in water. normally when a well is turned on you can get about 130-160 bbls an hr. which peters off rather quickly after a few days. once returns in water are managable, the company turns the well over to the operators and the seperators handle it from there on out.
as buzz stated above, operators will have a good idea of how the well turned out when flaring.

"In the struggle for survival, the fittest win out at the expense of their rivals."
-Charles Darwin
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

I was told they do that if they hit 2 pockets they burn off the smaller one to get to the larger pocket.We had one here burn 2 weeks.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Sage

There is a propane tank farm in Lancaster Co. Every so often there is a flame coming from a pipe in the tank farm. I never understood why they burn off their product.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Sage

They were hauling in the frac tanks for the well down the road from camp, when I was up here over Labor Day.

Came back up Wed. evening and they were still fracking it. They finished it Friday morning. All the "pump trucks" were gone by Sunday afternoon, now they're busy moving the tanks out to the next job. My cousin said once all those pump trucks moved in, they were at it 24/7.

This morning there is a flare going. No flare yesterday, as I was past there right after dark.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page