The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

custom barrel recommendations

11K views 26 replies 20 participants last post by  gemihur 
#1 ·
I am looking to upgrade to a custom barrel for my encore pro hunter. If money wasnt an object, which custom barrel would be the best to buy. I am looking for a multi purpose elk, deer, bear caliber barrel but want to get a very accurate barrel. What I've been getting from TC has been less than desirable.

#5 ·
I have 2 MGM's and like them both. I don't own an EAB but understand they are very accurate as well. Like Groat said, a lot of calibers to choose from. 6.5 Swede, .260 Rem., and on up. Almost all of the 6.5 calibers are very accurate at long-range with mild recoil. Some might consider them light for elk or bear but they've been used on virtually every game animal in the world.

#6 ·
I would venture a guess and say the .223 has been used on every game animal on the planet too, but that doesn't make it an ideal choice...different topic for a different thread...but I'll throw in another vote for MGM barrels, very accurate and very close tolerances. Good luck.

Mac

#7 ·
jkeene, We didn't mention that MGM stands for Match Grade Machine and their web site is at http://matchgrademachine.com/ . The E. A. Brown site is http://www.eabco.com/encore.html .

Mac, Actually caliber was mentioned in the thread so I was just trying to be of some help. The poster said "I am looking for a multi purpose elk, deer, bear caliber barrel but want to get a very accurate barrel." I was just presenting some 6.5MM options for him and indicated that some consider them light. Never said they were "ideal".

#8 ·
What is a total shame is how the quality and tolerance control has gone in the toilet on TC barrels since S&W took over. Seriously, all...and I mean EVERY SINGLE factory TC barrel I own (all purchased before the buyout) will shoot 1/2 moa with most loads I feed them and into the same hole with some factory loads and any of my hand loads. A true shame that we must now spend what is being asked to get a "custom" barrel, just to meet the "old standard" of TC quality and accuracy.

#12 ·
If I was going the custom route, I think I'd get a 280 Ackley improved. I know Bellm makes them. Though I've heard both great and not so great things about him personally. MGM or or Brown would be great choices as well.

#16 ·
basdjs said:
jkeene, We didn't mention that MGM stands for Match Grade Machine and their web site is at http://matchgrademachine.com/ . The E. A. Brown site is http://www.eabco.com/encore.html .

Mac, Actually caliber was mentioned in the thread so I was just trying to be of some help. The poster said "I am looking for a multi purpose elk, deer, bear caliber barrel but want to get a very accurate barrel." I was just presenting some 6.5MM options for him and indicated that some consider them light. Never said they were "ideal".
Thanks for posting those links.

#19 ·
All three barrel makers you're down to really know their stuff. The guys at MGM are very easy to talk to and I understand the same is true for the other 2. Since you're looking at a custom barrel in a custom caliber, I'd call them and tell them what you're going to hunt and how you're going to hunt and get their recommendations for your particular caliber...then make your decision. In addition to discussing barrel design and length,they may also be able to give you some recommendations on a particular ammo combination for your barrel.

#23 ·
280AI is a fantastic choice for all 3 on your quarry list.
Being a fan of the 7mmRM and the 7mmSTW I would suggest a twist rate capable of handling the 160gr class projectile. Great for bear and elk. With whitetail you'd have to watch bullet placement because the 160gr will hit a whitetail like a sledge hammer.

Being it would be hard to pick a barrel twist rate to push both a 140gr and a 160gr to their respected potential, I would stick to a 1-9.5" and run 160gr

#24 ·
Heck Guys! The contender has been around since '67 and there is a whole lot of custom barrels out there from firms that have long since closed. Ingram, Coyote Arms & Accessories to name a couple. There are even fellas back in the woods who do excellent barrel-making in their shops. Keep your eyes on the used market and there is often times a deal to be had.
Recent acquisitions are 7.5" Ingram in 22 Hornet & 17" Coyote Arms in 6.5 Grendel. The search continues ...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.