New member SEPA - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

New member SEPA

Hi all! New here, getting back into fishing after 20+ years and signed up to lurk and learn. Havenít been out more than a couple times since I was a kid and now with social distancing in effect I needed something to stave off cabin fever 🤣

Currently working on setting up my all purpose rig for back country backpacking and stream/pond fishing for panfish/trout/bass, and have no idea what Iím doing (dad always was the fisherman in the family, RIP) and I always fished by luck on worms/waxies/mealies and whatever he did to the rods/reels😋. Right now it consists of a quantum optix op30f with 10lb yo zuri hybrid in a cheap carbon eBay 1.5m collapsible rod (thatíll change soon as I find a quantum graphite composite rod like I had as a kid).

Looking forward to getting to know yíall and learning about some new places to go around SEPA as well as tips and tricks on what works. I grew up in Jefferson co and am finding that Berks co and the surrounding areas are completely different fishing styles than going down the ole Toby creek and dropping a line in, and I dont know of any of the smaller tributaries around here to fish.

Last edited by WanderXC; 04-12-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Iím also looking at getting into reloading 9mm and would like someone to teach me if possible 😊👍🏻 Trying to get into steel shoots around here and tactical + 2-3 gun shoots
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 08:09 PM
The Man

welcome to HPA. you came to the right site to learn. many will help you learn and point you in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 08:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hello and welcome to the club. Good luck on your refresher course. I usually just use night crawlers myself. Seems like everything bites on them.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 08:22 PM
The Man

I use night crawlers and a spin bait that looks like a minnow . and several other spinners. get the spinners at Walmart , at a reasonable price. I set up two rods , one with a spinner and one with a hook for worms. that saves on time switching back and fourth while fishing.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks guys! Glad to be here

I always had the best luck with night crawlers and red mealies...never understood how anyone could catch anything on the spin baits and rooster tails...then again no one ever showed me how to properly fish them either (dad was a dig your own bait kinda guy). Bobber fish in ponds and slow water creeks with a couple split shot for good casting measure, set up on snap swivels.

A few years back someone showed me how to set up a leader I had a lake in Levitown when I try to get back into this, but at the time I wasnít taking it seriously. Now that I have all the time in the world Iím finding I want to be outdoors more...

Used to get all my bait and tackle at a place in Falls Creek, not sure if they are even still in business...kinda want to head out that way and fish old waters again...rattlesnake run, Toby creek, gas well streams up in elk(?) game lands bordered by ANF where we used to hunt (canít remember the name of the town dad said, lot of old Indian trails in the area and I know shawmut run can get you there)...

I need to get back into small game hunting again 🤔 always loved going for rabbit/squirrel/spring gobbler...

Last edited by WanderXC; 04-12-2020 at 09:36 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 09:35 PM
The Man

spin bait isn`t hard to do. just cast your line out and reel back in. repeat. simple.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPotterCo View Post
spin bait isn`t hard to do. just cast your line out and reel back in. repeat. simple.
Cross fingers, pray to fish gods that a trout sees it 🤣

We used to use minnows occasionally...and for bass weíd just catch bluegill and rehook

Do we have anyone big into tanning around the forum? Started leathercrafting recently and am making soft sole outdoor Mocs, looking for someone who can maybe show me how to process and tan

Last edited by WanderXC; 04-12-2020 at 09:39 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 09:39 PM
The Man

that would help also. good luck on your fishing.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPotterCo View Post
that would help also. good luck on your fishing.
Thanks hoping to get out Wednesday and test this rig at Leaser Lake or somewhere up that way...maybe down around Lenhartsville or kempton on the creek

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page