Hi there fellow hunters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Hi there fellow hunters

Hello fellow hunters, i am a 31 year old from the poconos area, a avid fisherman who wanted to expand his knowledge and love for the outdoors and have recently passed my hunters exam and will be getting my hunting license along with my rifle in short while. Im glad to have found this forum for hunters in pennsylvania and am looking forward to making new friends and learning all about the sport and the outdoors.
I would love to get me some game this season, and am really excited. Ive already bought all my camo clothing witch was pretty pricy but very warm and comfortable. I feel like im a living, walking, breathing tree wearing it all. Im going to be ordering a few more supplys soon, But have been debating on what caliber and gun i want to choose. I wasnt able to create a thread elsewhere. So i may aswell ask for advice. Im looking to spend around 1000-1500 for a bolt action rifle and a scope, and am looking for one that will be good for medium to large game with medium to long range firing distance. I would prefer something that has a camo paintjob but am not set on anything. I have been looking at some .308 or .270 but am really not to sure what would be best for my needs and my price range. I am hoping someone here would be able to point me in the right direction.
Im looking forward to posting in other sections of the forum and trying to find some hunters in my area and to learn.

Last edited by SneakyHunterThomas; 11-14-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hello and welcome to the club. Good luck on your new adventure!
SneakyHunterThomas likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 10:44 AM

welcome to HPA and you came to the right spot for your knowledge. enjoy and good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:08 PM

Welcome to the site!

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:20 PM

Welcome to HPA!!! You will be able to buy a really nice rifle and scope for that price. I'm a fan of synthetic stocks and I use Leupold scopes. Everybody has different preferences. I was happy with the .270 I had when I was younger and a few of my hunting buddies still use them. I have never owned a .308 so I can't help you there. I hope you get some feedback that helps.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 03:32 PM

Welcome aboard,..... A Winchester mdl.70 in 30.06 or 270 would be make for a good all around big game rifle and mounted with a good quality scope as well....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:22 AM
Banned

Hello. I just joined the forum. I will be glad to meet you.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnort1 View Post
Hello and welcome to the club. Good luck on your new adventure!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPotterCo View Post
welcome to HPA and you came to the right spot for your knowledge. enjoy and good luck
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFRET View Post
Welcome to the site!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacksnQuacks View Post
Welcome to HPA!!! You will be able to buy a really nice rifle and scope for that price. I'm a fan of synthetic stocks and I use Leupold scopes. Everybody has different preferences. I was happy with the .270 I had when I was younger and a few of my hunting buddies still use them. I have never owned a .308 so I can't help you there. I hope you get some feedback that helps.
Thank you. I was looking at some scopes from cabelas from where i ordered my rifle and did notice the leupold scope was on sale.
Im thinking of waiting till my rifle is available for pickup before i choose one just so i can look down the scope and see how i like it to match the rifle in person.
I was amazed at how much scopes go for, i obviously cant get the high end scope but was looking at a vortex viper 30mm
I will create a thread later on in the day when i get a chance to with some questions i have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShot View Post
Welcome aboard,..... A Winchester mdl.70 in 30.06 or 270 would be make for a good all around big game rifle and mounted with a good quality scope as well....
Thank you. I decided on a 30.06 after doing a bit of research it seems it would be a lot nicer to have that versatility in ammo size and access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRedas View Post
Hello. I just joined the forum. I will be glad to meet you.
Thank you. Fantastic ill send you a private message and see what area you are in and maybe we can bounce some information off each other and would be great to find someone else to go on a hunt with a get some actual hands on experience.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Welcome to HuntingPa.com

MAGA 2020
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 03:53 PM
New Arrival

30-06 is always a solid choice. One other thing to consider would be how familiar you are with shooting and how often you plan on shooting the gun. Not that a 30-06 has terrible recoil but if you spend the day on a bench in the summer in tee shirt you are going to know it.

A 308 will shoot all of the same bullets a 30-06 will just a bit slower but also with less recoil, especially if the rifle is very light.

Either way good luck hunting! Where are you at in the poconos?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page